Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Nursing Mother's Companion...

When my twins were born I had my heart set on breastfeeding.   I was told how challenging it would be but nothing really prepares you for that until you are handed two hungry newborns....hello Challenge 1 and Challenge 2.  Seriously though, I really wanted to succeed at nursing and I was able to do this through persistence, exhaustion (no energy to fill/prepare/wash bottles!) and the help of my handy little "nursing bible".  The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins was what I turned to during every bump in the road of my nursing adventure. 

The Nursing Mother's Companion (now known as "NMC" to save me from carpal tunnel!) is dedicated to helping you figure out how to breastfeed your baby.  As a first time mom you think because it is the most natural thing to do it must be easy.  This is not the case for everyone.  The "NMC" is set up in sections from preparing during pregnancy all the way through nursing a toddler.  Each chapter spends time focusing on the different challenges each age bracket is associated with for baby AND mom.  Fearful your baby is not gaining enough?  Thrush?  Engorgement?  New Teeth?  All the answers to your problems are here.  There are also sections on the nursing mom's nutrition, nursing an adopted baby, pumping and the safety of medications while breastfeeding. 

The "NMC" was on my night stand for a year after the twins were born.  Now with my third baby it is back there again ready to provide answers  and reassurance.  This book is a must for any mom-to-be who is planning to breastfeed.

No comments: