Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Kindle...

Right before Baby R was born my husband bought me a gift...a Kindle.  Big points for the hubby!!  I had been oohing and ahhing over the Kindle for months and I just could not wait to get one of my own.  I am such an avid reader and I loved the idea of being all modern with my books....just think, something smaller than a magazine and lighter than a paperback could hold up to 1,500 books.  Delicious for a book lover like me. 

I love my Kindle.  I could go on and on about it but here are just a few of the reasons why I adore this little slice of technology...

1.  Books in Under 60 Seconds: Get books delivered wirelessly in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
2.  Global Coverage: Enjoy 3G wireless coverage at home or abroad in over 100 countries.
3.  Paper-Like Display: Reads like real paper without glare, even in bright sunlight
4.  Long Battery Life: Read for up to one week on a single charge with wireless on. Turn wireless off and read for up to two weeks.
5.  Read-to-Me: With the experimental Text-to-Speech feature, Kindle can read content out loud to you, unless the rights holder made the feature unavailable
6.  Large Selection: Over 620,000 books and the largest selection of the most popular books people want to read, including 109 of 112 New York Times® Best Sellers, plus U.S. and international newspapers, magazines, and blogs.
7.  Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases from $9.99
8.  Out-of-Copyright, Pre-1923 Books: Over 1.8 million free, out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books are available to read on Kindle, including titles such as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice, and Treasure Island.
9. Free Book Samples: Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.

Just "a few" apparently equals 9 in my book (um, I mean Kindle!).  I can't help myself though....this thing is pretty amazing.  I really love #9...it is so nice to get a taste of a book before you commit to buying.   I also like how I can use the experimental feature to get on the Internet even when I am not at home.  Now, dear readers, I can sit in parked car with my napping children and send you fabulous reviews on my trusty Kindle!

Now, it has not all been hearts and flowers.  I still love actual books.  There are some that I am just going to have to buy so I can hold, smell and enjoy true, paper books.  I also wish the Kindle was back lit for night reading but they DO have a handy book light made just for the Kindle so that helps.  I also wish there were more hours in the day so I could read more but that is not exactly the fault of the Kindle, I suppose!

If you are an avid reader I would most definitely look into getting a Kindle.  It is a great investment and I am thrilled to have one of my own.  If you are on the fence I would suggest reading the customer reviews on Amazon....there are nearly 16,000 of them but more than 10,000 gave 5 stars and nearly 3,000 gave it a solid 4!  I would say I am not the only one in love with my Kindle.  Check it out here...

No comments: