Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Watch it Wednesday....Beauty and the Beast

It's here....Beauty and the Beast:  Diamond Edition!  Disney's Oscar winning movies ever is now available in Blu-Ray and trust me, you don't want to leave this one out of your movie library!

Film Synopsis:
Set in and around a quaint French village during the late 18
th century, Beauty and the Beast follows the fantastic adventures of Belle, a bright and beautiful young woman who finds escape from her ordinary life, and the advances of a boorish suitor, Gaston, by reading books. Meanwhile, off in a castle in the distance, a cruel young prince is cast under the spell of an enchantress who turns him into a tormented beast, while transforming his servants into animated household objects. In order to remove the curse, the Beast must discover a true love who will return his affection
before the last petal falls from an enchanted rose. When Belle’s inventor father stumbles upon the Beast’s castle and is taken prisoner, Belle comes to the rescue and agrees to take her father’s place. With the help of the castle’s enchanted staff, she sees beneath the Beast’s exterior and discovers the heart and soul of a human prince. 


I of course knew the story of Beauty and the Beast but, oddly, I had only ever watched this Disney classic during high school French class...in FRENCH!  Now, though the lovely Madame O'Neil tried, my French skills were not bon (or bonne?  or bien??).  In any case lots got lost in translation for me so I was very excited to review this one alongside A&W. 

My mini Siskel and Ebert sat down cozied up on the couch with me and we popped in the disc prepared for magic.  We were absolutely NOT disappointed!  First of all, the animation is flat out remarkable.  The colors are crisp and vibrant, making the characters come to life.  My movie critics and I sat, riveted to this magical tale.  The story is captivating with characters you will fall in love with voices of some major talents including Paige O'Hara, Angela Lansbury and the late Jerry Orbach.  And the songs...who doesn't get swept away when they hear "Beauty and the Beast"?  My boys loved "Gaston" but my favorite musical number was "Be Our Guest".

Run don't walk to pick up this brand new release from Disney...Beauty and the Beast:  Diamond Edition.  Or let your fingers do the running and get yours today from Amazon....this is one for the entire family!  Enjoy...

1 comment:

MommyB Knows Best said...

I can't wait for my 3 year old daughter to watch this...although I'm nervous about the "scary" parts I remember...