Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Random Acts of Zhu...

This blog has allowed me to do some pretty fabulous things over the past year.  I have read wonderful books, been introduced to some amazing products and I have gotten to "know" a whole bunch of interesting people I am proud to call my readers.    Over the past month I have been working on something that has been very special and dear to me, made possible by one of the companies I have worked with here on RBM, Ceipa, (the company who makes those furry creatures I love the Zhu Zhu Pets).

I was contacted by Ceipa last month because I had been chosen, along with 99 other bloggers, to participate in their program Random Acts of Zhu.  Random Acts of Zhu is a charitable program created by Cepia that gives Zhu Zhu Pets to 100 bloggers to distribute to those in need in their communities.  Did I mention how many Zhu Zhu Pets yet?  104!! Yes, 1 was sent 104 Zhu Zhu Pets and if you do the math that is 10,400 Zhu Zhu Pets handed out to children in need.  That is absolutely staggering to me and I was blown away by the company's generosity.

When I was faced with the prospect of choosing homes for the Zhu Zhu's it took me quite a while to decide.  On my own, I would never have been able to give in such a big way and I really thought long and hard about how to spread the joy.  After much consideration I decided to spread my Random Acts of Zhu in this way...

Barbara Bush Children's HospitalThe Barbara Bush Children's Hospital (BBCH) at Maine Medical Center provides and sponsors comprehensive, family-centered health care for the children of Maine and northern New England.  This is my local children's hospital and as a parent to three healthy children I am aware of just how lucky I am.  I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have a child in the hospital particularly during the holiday season.  The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital is visited by Santa each Christmas Eve and he was thrilled to give  Zhu-Zhu Pets to all the children on the inpatient unit this year.

The Center for Grieving ChildrenThe Center for Grieving Children's mission is to provide loving support to grieving children, teens, families and the community through peer support, outreach, and education. We honor and encourage the safe expression of grief and loss. We provide a loving community to foster the discovery and development of each child's own resiliency and emotional well-being.  The Zhu Zhu Pets that were donated to The Center for Grieving Children were given to the children in their Tender Loving Care Program.  This program is for children with parents who are facing a serious illness.



The Ronald McDonald House A not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing affordable, safe and supportive temporary home-like housing to families of seriously ill children receiving treatment at nearby hospitals and medical facilities.  The Zhu Zhu's donated at The Ronald McDonald House brought great joy to the children staying at the facility over the holidays.  Being away from home with a very sick family member in the hospital is more stressful on a child than I can possibly imagine.  I was so pleased to be able to help bring the residents a smile or a giggle in the form of a new pet over the holidays.


Family Crisis Services:  An agency working to end domestic violence in Cumberland and Sagadahoc counties which has a shelter for women and children in Portland.  Here is portion of the thank you letter I received from the Director of Services...

This year in particular, our donations are down and we are full at the shelter. When you came forward and expressed your intentions on donations of the Zhu Zhu Pets, you can image how thrilled we were .

The children were delighted at Christmas and we were thrilled to be able to give them this adorable toy.  Thanks so much to you and the wonderful company that enabled all of this to happen.
We are very grateful.    
I can't express how very much it meant to me to be able to take part in this amazing program put on by Cepia.  It was so moving to see the work that the people in these amazing programs do to make lives better for the children in my community.  I am humbled. 
During the holidays when we are with those we love and counting our blessings it is especially important to remember those around us who are not as fortunate as we are....especially those little people who are our futures.  You will notice I have left links to each of the fine programs I chose and I am sure you will see why they made my list.  These programs run 365 days per year and are always in need of donations and volunteers so if you are able please consider giving a little.  In your community or mine, let's start making a difference by helping children in need.  Evey bit, every minute, can help bring a smile to a child and can make an impact that can change a life. Imagine what we can all accomplish! 
Thank you so much to Cepia for choosing this mom to be a part of this amazing program.  It was an absolute honor to participate and I was proud to share Zhu Zhu Pets to the less fortunate children in my community and to help spread some smiles this holiday season.   Here are a few pictures from my Random Acts of Zhu...

A&W scoping out the mountains of Zhu Zhu Pet boxes (those critters make quite a racket even from inside their boxes!)
A staff member from the Barbara Bush Children's Hospital posing with two of the donated Zhu Zhu Pets...
A pile of wrapped Zhu Zhu's heading out to children in my community...


4 comments:

Hifam said...

What an amazing project. Thanks for sharing about it.

Karla said...

That's really great. I bet you cheered up a lot of children!

Queen Bee said...

Kristin, your blog is doing a great service. With these donations you are reminding your readers how lucky we all are, and that if we can, we need to donate time, gifts, money, whatever we can, to those in need. Good job !!

Christina said...

Awesome!!!!I love that through blogging you were able to do this.