Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Story of Hanukkah Howie...R&G!

Hanukkah is just around the corner and there is a brand new picture book to help celebrate the season.  The Story of  Hanukkah Harry by Jan Dalrymple is a delight and one you and the kids will surely adore.  Here is the scoop...

Have you ever had a bad hair day? Well, imagine eight bad hair days in a row -- and at just the wrong time. Our hero, Howie, has very strange spiked hair, but only during the eight days of Hanukkah.  By day eight, in fact, there are "... nine spikes in all, four at right, four at left, one in center so tall". Howie’s Mom gradually realizes that Howie's hair looks like a menorah -- the nine-candled centerpiece for the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. But just when she wonders what she can do, Hanukkah ends and the spikes disappear.

Was the hair-spiking a one-time event? Not a chance. Each year at Hanukkah, Howie's hair springs into spikes. Since they are impossible to control, over the years both Hannah and Howie search for possible remedies. Readers learn that "...the only solution that seemed to be there… was for Howie to cover his very strange hair."

This clever book, besides being hugely entertaining,  presents a gentle message that, regardless of our personal appearance and our differences we each have a role in this life – we each have a place in the family of man.  For Howie, his hair and its particular uniqueness ends up being the crown jewel of his personality!




This book is just plain fun with a hearty dash of love.  It celebrates differences while addressing the struggles that often come while trying to embrace them.  This is a lesson for all children!  The pictures are vibrant and fun and bring the impish Howie to life.  This is a fabulous book and a great read this season and all year long.  Pick up your copy HERE on the Hanukkah Howie website.

I am so pleased to tell you that the publisher is giving one lucky RBM reader a copy of The Story of Hanukkah Howie!  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter...

19 comments:

Shannah Katz said...

Happy Hanukkah Kristin!

Love the jewish support :)

-Shannah Katz

www.shannahkatz.com

Hifam said...

I would share this with my kids. I love introducing them to cultures and traditions they are unfamiliar with.
Jody H

Sarah said...

Ohh this sounds adorable!! I'd love to read it to my 4 year old.

sarahdlamb(at)gmail.com

Tawnya said...

I would love to win this for my son!

corey1971 said...

I would like to win this for my kids, as we celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. (olomon@hotmail.com)

corey1971 said...

I learned that the author graduated from the University of Washington in 1969 (which is interesting to me because I live in Seattle, where UW is located).(olomon@hotmail.com)

Aileen said...

I am trying to win this for my daughter

B. Wilson said...

My son. I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but I want my children to be aware and cultured. :)
--Brandy
fosterbrandy(at)msn(dot)com

Terri said...

I would love to win The Story of Hanukkah Howie for my granddaughter.

Terri said...

The author wrote this book with 2 goals. One goal was to remember years of family Hanukkah celebrations and love shared by her father, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The 2nd goal was to give a message that regardless of how we look or our differences, we each have a role in life and we each have a place in the family of man.

Veronica R said...

I am trying to win this book for my nephew.

vnjplus3 at verizon dot net

Natasha H said...

I am trying to win this for my son

dythia_99(at)yahoo(dot)com

Angel said...

I'm trying to win this for my nephew, Jace. Thanks!

pridelandmama said...

I want to win this for my son
pridelandmama@hotmail.com

Emily said...

I would give this book to my boss. He would really enjoy it for his family.
lovemuffin_em@hotmail.com

SuperMom3128 said...

I would love to win this for my three kids.
l_dog542 at yahoo dot com

Robin Blankenship said...

MY daughter

maryjaco1 said...

My neice and nephew. Chag semeach.

Lonny Doddy She Likes to Pardy said...

I would use this book in my classroom with my students to teach them about different holiday traditions and to have a culturally responsive classroom! lonyaet (at) aol (dot) com