Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cheap Eats....Creamy Carrot Soup

If you are like most people I know, you are trying to save money wherever you can.  One place I have been able to very successfully pinch pennies is at the grocery store.  By shopping sales and using coupons I am able to save quite a bit of money.  This does mean that I tend to cook and prepare only what is on sale on the grocery store for that week meaning I have to get a little creative.  This week, already reasonably priced fresh carrots were further marked down at my local store.  Not one to pass up a deal, I purchased several large bags and got busy slicing and chopping for snacking and side dishes.  I still had quite a lot left which led me too a yummy soup just perfect for a wintry day.  Here is the recipe for Mom's Creamy Carrot Soup.  I hope you enjoy!

1 lb. Carrots (peeled and cut into thirds)
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 Small Onion (diced)
3 tsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp dried ginger
2 Cans Chicken Broth (4 C. total)
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 C. Heavy Cream


1. Add olive oil to pan and saute garlic and onion until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).  Add chicken broth, carrots, ginger and cinnamon and bring to a boil.  Cook over medium heat for at least 20 minutes or until carrots are very soft.

2.  In batches, puree soup in blender or use a hand immersion blender (love mine!!).  Add cream and cook over low until heated through. 

I am IN LOVE with this soup.  It was rich, flavorful and inexpensive to make!  Serve it with some crusty bread and a salad to make a meal. 


*If you like this recipe feel free to share and to "pin it" on Pinterest.  Find me there as "Reviewed by Mom".
Pin It

2 comments:

Aileen said...

Took this recipe and used carrots and butternut squash. It came out really great. Thanks. arobimom at gmail dot com

Bonita Buckley said...

my kids and i will have to try this.