Sunday, January 22, 2012

Crafty Mama Mondays....Hair Accessory Storage

Don't let the title fool you....I am not one of those super, duper crafty people (I wish!) but I do love to create.  I like to do fun craft things with the kiddos and I also like to craft on my own FOR the kiddos.  I wanted to share my most recent creation with you because it was fun, EASY and inexpensive.  Hooray for the trifecta!

My craft was born from the need to wrangle Little R's hair ornaments.  Barrettes, ribbons, clips and headbands were stuffed haphazardly in a basket and I could never find what I wanted to put into her hair.  I saw an idea on Pinterest (see it here) but it lacked instructions and I wanted to tweak it a bit.

Here is what I used for materials....

Wooden Frame ( the size I used housed an 8x10 picture)
Fabric (I think I used 1/2 a yard which was more than enough)
Ribbon (Mine is 1/2 inch wide)
Staple Gun
Cup Hooks

What I Did.....I removed the glass from the picture frame and put it in recycling (no need for it with this project).  I kept the cardboard backing from the frame and covered it tightly with the fabric.  I used my trusty staple gun to secure it neatly into place on the backside (be sure to iron your fabric before you do this part!).   I then cut out 4 pieces of ribbon long enough to overlap the edges of the cardboard/fabric piece (about 12 inches or so each).  I spaced them evenly apart and then stapled them into the backside of the cardboard.  Next I put the cardboard with fabric and ribbon back into the original frame.  The final step was adding 3 cup hooks evenly spaced on the bottom of the frame.  The result is this...

Pretty cute, right?  Little R loves it and gets a kick out of having all her hair "pretties" on display.  I like how I was able to incorporate her room decor (browns, greens and pinks) into something functional.  It is SO much easier to find her accessories now AND Little R is much more amicable to putting them in her hair when it is so much fun to choose them.  The total cost of this project was less than $5.  I got the fabric and ribbon on clearance and the frame was lying unused around the house.  I would love to hear if you try this and would love to see the pictures too. 

3 comments:

Carrie Smith said...

What a great idea, I will be doing one of these for each of the girls!

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

Cute idea I have a boy so I don't have to worry about hair accessories LOL.


40denise (dot) taylor (at) gmail (dot) com

Michelle P said...

Genius! I am so going to do this!