Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Travel Nursing...

I sometimes begin thinking about what I will do for work once the kids are in school.  Before I know it, they will off  to school and I will be left with more time on my hands than I have had in years.  I often find myself searching the Internet for new opportunities so I can have an eye on what is happening in the job market.  I am still a few years away from all this but my mind is (mostly!) always working.

Today I came across something that was new to me.....Travel nurses.  I had never heard of this but boy if I had heard about it when I was young and single I would have LOVED to try it out.  Have you heard of it?  Well, it is pretty much exactly what it sounds like...you are a nurse who travels!  You are hired to work in a specific location for an amount of time generally ranging from 4-26 weeks.  There are lots of locations and specialties available and the pay is competitive.  Also, lodging and travel are often included in the pay.  What an absolutely fabulous way to see the country, feel a sense of adventure all while pursuing and growing in your career.

Now, obviously, I am not going to pack up the mini van and take off to California for the rest of this horrid Maine winter (see ya, Sweetie!) but if what a fantastic opportunity.  I really wish I had done something like this when I was younger.  Helping people around the country...what an adventure!  If you are looking for something fun and rewarding, what are you waiting for?  Click and read about getting started!

4 comments:

Aileen said...

I've been a RN for about 10 years now. Nursing is a wonderful career, but it does include long hours on your feet, stress, weekends, holidays and nights. Travel nursing can bring you to great locations, but companies typically use travel nurses for slots that are difficult to fill locally. Not always the most ideal times, shifts, or jobs!

Jeff said...

When you find out about careers like this it does make you wish you had heard of them when you were younger doesn't it.

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

I bet it would be great for those that are just starting out. It would be a nice way to go places you haven't been before.

40denise (dot) taylor (at) gmail (dot) com

~SALLY~ said...

Funny when I first saw the title I immediately thought of breastfeeding. LOL!!! Sounds like a great way to travel and see the sights as well!