Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter Blues? Try Some Smurf Spaghetti!

As you all know we are Mainers here at Reviewed by Mom.  This means looooong winters in which I have to get pretty creative in my quest to amuse the kids.  I thought I would post some of our activities here every now and then.  I am thinking some of you all might be looking for ways to amuse bored children from time to time!

I have recently seen some fun ideas on Pinterest (if you do not have an invite yet to the site e-mail me at reviewedbymom@hotmail.com and I will send you one!) for dyeing pasta.  We had great fun the other day dyeing spiral and regular spaghetti pasta for upcoming crafts.  It is easy as can be and not only is it great for crafts, this particular recipe is completely edible!  Here is how we customized our own pasta dyeing factory....

Supplies:  Food Coloring, Pasta (we used spiral and straight but any kind will do!), white vinegar, plastic bags.



Directions:  Fill a bag with spaghetti and add apx. 1 tsp of white vinegar (just enough to barely coat the pasta).  Add drops of desired color of food coloring and tightly seal the bag.  Have your child lightly roll and massage the pasta about in the bag which will coat the pasta with color (my kids LOVED this part!).  Get creative with amounts of food coloring.  Obviously more will create more vivid colors but if you add just a few drops you can get some cool multi colored strands...almost tie dyed...

Let the pasta dry for at least a couple of hours (we left ours until the next day).

I saved some of the uncooked pasta for craft projects later on but we could not resist cooking some of the blue spaghetti strands.  We dubbed this "Smurf Spaghetti".  I was concerned there would be vinegar smell but it cooked right off and it was so much fun for the kids to eat.  I definitely did not have to plead with them to eat lunch!  How fun is this???

Stay tuned for what we do with our leftover uncooked pasta.  I am thinking some fun collages are in our future!
Pin It

2 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

That pasta is pretty cool - scary, but cool!

Being from NH, can feel your pain (moved here from Maine!) Hang in there - Winter has arrived!

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

Sounds like fun.