Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Raccoon Nation...R&G!

I have such a fascinating DVD to tell you about today from PBS...Raccoon Nation.  In our old house we had a bit of woods behind us and there was a raccoon that lived in a big tree with her baby.  We liked to watch it sleep in the hole in the tree (from a distance of course!) however we liked it less when she got into our trash cans!  I was excited to watch Raccoon Nation with my husband (he's a nature buff so I knew he would love it!).  Here is the scoop...

Watch Raccoon Nation - Preview on PBS. See more from Nature.

When the lights go down in cities across North America, another world is revealed, populated by shady little characters that live alongside us, but exist in the margins. These pint-size problem solvers are smart, adaptable and omnivorous, and they love a good challenge. Welcome to the world of urban raccoons. With their busy little hands, they can do what other would-be urban animals can’t — open doors, get into attics, and raid secured trash cans. And they are especially fond of big cities, like Chicago, New York, and Toronto — the raccoon capital of the world. In cities everywhere, wherever they’ve been introduced, they have done very, very well.

Following a family of urban raccoons over the course of six months, and using high-definition cameras and intensive GPS tracking systems, “Raccoon Nation” reveals new insights about a species that is far more elusive and wily than most people ever imagined, and more destructive.

It seems that the more obstacles you throw in their way, the smarter they get. In an effort to outwit raccoons, we may be pushing their brain development and perhaps even sending them down a new evolutionary path. One biologist who has been studying raccoons for 25 years believes the city life is in fact cultivating “über-raccoons,” ready to take over the world. Only time will tell just how advanced this “nation” of urban raccoons will become.
This DVD was SO interesting. I was completely blown away at how intelligent these creatures are.  Those little hands of theirs are quite, well, handy!  I found the technology to be absolutely amazing.  Tracking a raccoon family for six months using GPS??  It was such a unique way to learn about animals and their habits and I found myself drawn right into the program.  To be completely honest I am generally not a nature show type of gal but Raccoon Nation is NOT  your average nature show.  With the technology and the in depth looks into the lives of these little bandits it is hard not to be engrossed.  This DVD is a great one for your home library and I highly recommend it!  You can pick up your copy today on Amazon...


I am so excited to tell you that PBS is giving FOUR lucky RBM readers a copy of Raccoon Nation!  Thanks so much to my friends at PBS and Good Luck!  To enter click "read more" and use the Rafflecopter entry form.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

54 comments:

ReggieMann said...

No raccoons in my neighborhood :)

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

We probably do although I haven't seen any I did see a coyote once though.

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

I commented on your FB page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reviewed-By-Mom/112329868790237?ref=ts
Also your button is on my blog at
http://savingmoneycanbefun.blogspot.com/

carolwegs said...

We have many, behind my fence is a large wooded area. thanks
carolwegs at gmail dot com

blue65829 said...

I have never seen raccoons in my neighborhood, which is too bad for me because I love them!
blue65829 at aol dot com

susan1215 said...

I have never seen raccoons in my neighborhood,

s2s2 at comcast dot net

Ann Fantom said...

Oh yeah, they love to get into the garbage cans!

abfantom at yahoo dot com

Shelley P said...

We have plenty of raccoons in our neighborhood. Last year I had a family of 4 right outside our window sitting on our hot tub cover. It was neat to see. They stayed there for awhile too. They often raid our bird feeders.
sscott2 at email dot com

corey1971 said...

No, I live in a high end, close-in suburb, but did see them growing up in rural Kansas. (Corey Olomon)(olomon@hotmail.com)

Jennifer Rogers said...

I have not see racoons, we have possum!
j1man1r66@etex.net

ani hearts japan said...

We don't see them very often since they are nocturnal, but we live out in the country and do have them.

aniwilsonintx at hotmail dot com

Maryann D. said...

I did see a family of raccoons on the roof of my neighbors house a few years back!
twinkle at optonline dot net

Robin Quick said...

Yes we do! We are surrounded by woods. We had a baby raccoon once because he got abandoned by his mom. When he got old enough we turned him loose.

Jennifer Rogers said...

Commented on your Facebook Page!
j1man1r66@etex.net
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=382462551776966&id=112329868790237

jenzen69 said...

We dont have many here, if any, in our city boundaries

jenzen69 said...

FB name jennifer huff huey

Christine Jessamine said...

i dont have any that i have seen, but i have heard some crazy stories from relatives about them

christinejessamine at hotmail dot com

Shannon said...

I haven't seen any yet, but I'm sure they are around!

snaugle81@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

fortunately none here
gkuroda(at)gmail.com

M said...

We have TONS of them

Deborah Petiot said...

No raccoons here...

kellyr78 said...

I've never seen any raccoons but I am sure we have them since we are somewhat in the country KellywcuATyahooDOTcom

Ms Penny Pincher said...

There are HUGE racoons in my neighborhood. They are easily mistaken for dogs from a distance!

Jennifer said...

yes and they are bad about getting into the trash
jenniferwinchester@ymail.com

Kristie said...

I do not know if there are any in my neighborhood. I'm a librarian in a medium-sized public library and someone brought one in and hid it in his coat. I had to tell him to leave and he had the gall to looked surprised. Get real!!! kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

Jenndiggy said...

No racoons in my neighborhood, but we do have a groundhog!

Anonymous said...

Once in a while we have one..went to let the dogs in during the night one night and one was by the shed not happy...geve me a heart attack!
Taryn
momof2boysmoments@gmail.com

Ashley turicik said...

I haven't seen any in my neighborhood but I see skunks and possums a lot

ky2here said...

yes, we live near a river.

ky2here at msn dot com

Nancy said...

Sometimes we see raccoons!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Kelly Braund said...

We have tons of racoons around our house. In fact, last fall there was a baby racoon up in one of our trees hiding during a rainstorm! My daughter is just in love with all animals so she would love to watch this!
braundk at comcast.net

Harold D said...

Yes, lots of them. They are always in our garbage.

tannerboyle12@hotmail.com

Robin said...

We live on 5 acres in a wooded Western Washington, and have lots of racoons
robinlscott4 at hotmail dot com

Robin said...

commented on your fb page
as Robin Scott
robinlscott4 at hotmail dot com

tavernie said...

Yes we see them at night!
ptavernie at yahoo dot com

Jessica P said...

Yes, we have lots of them around! jessicapeeling@yahoo.com

Jessica P said...

I have your button posted here: http://thesecond-thought.blogspot.com/p/blogs-i-love.html

ape2016 said...

I have never seen raccoons, but there very well may be some- we have everything else!
april yedinak

Daniel M said...

yep we have several that go through the yards here - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

one lives in our shed out back
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Tamar said...

I used to but that was when I lived in the burbs. There aren't too many raccoons here in NYC.
Tam S.

Nicole C. said...

Oh, yes, we have quite a few.

choateorama(at)gmail(dot)com

Angela Cisco said...

Yes unfortunately, they keep killing the chickens

Janet Boyanton said...

We see racoons regularly at my house.

Wendy Rozema said...

i haven't seen any!

Erica C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica C. said...

I haven't seen any around here!
ericacarnes(at)gmail(dot)com

Jody Sisson said...

Yes we live out in the country so we have raccoon's.
jodysis at windstream dot net

rootedinfaithblessedenormously said...

We get a couple visitors from time to time

laurasloves said...

We have a few who like to visit. Our cats love to watch them from the window!

awhartness said...

As far as I know there are no raccoons in my neighborhood.

Samantha said...

My parents have a TON in their neighborhood!

Nicole said...

i dont know of any raccons in our neighborhood

Donna said...

I don't think we have any in our neighborhood.
donna444444@yahoo.com