Friday, April 13, 2012

Before the Poison by Peter Robinson...R&G!

Looking for a great, new read?  Be sure to check out Before the Poison by Peter Robinson out now from Harper Collins.  Here is the scoop...

Chris Lowndes built a comfortable career composing scores for films in Hollywood. But after twenty-five years abroad, and still quietly reeling from the death of his beloved wife, he decides to return to the Yorkshire dales of his youth. To ease the move, he buys Kilnsgate House, a rambling old mansion deep in the country.

Although Chris finds Kilnsgate charming, something about the house disturbs him, a vague sensation that the long-empty rooms have been waiting for him—feelings made ever stronger when he learns that the house was the scene of a murder more than fifty years before. The former owner, a prominent doctor named Ernest Arthur Fox, was supposedly poisoned by his beautiful and much younger wife, Grace. Arrested and brought to trial, Grace was found guilty and hanged for the crime.

His curiosity piqued, Chris talks to the locals and searches through archives for information about the case. But the more he discovers, the more convinced he becomes that Grace may have been innocent. Ignoring warnings to leave it alone, he sets out to discover what really happened over half a century ago—a quest that takes him deep into the past and into a web of secrets that lie all too close to the present.


I let my mother-in-law the well read Queen Bee have first dibs on this one and here is what she had to say...

Chris Lowndes, renowned Hollywood movie score composer has lived in Los Angeles for 25 years. After his beloved wife dies, he decides to go back to his roots writing classical music and back to his home in Yorkshire, England. He buys a lovely but isolated estate for himself, site unseen. He will be able to grieve for his wife and write his music in peace. Once he moves in, he senses the house has a past. When he starts to investigate, he hears that the doctor who lived in the house, was poisoned by his young wife, Grace, and that she was hanged after her trial. When he sees a picture Grace, he is reminded of his own wife. Lowndes becomes obsessed with Grace and decides that he will gather all the information he can from locals and written accounts of the trial and after a while he begins to wonder whether Grace was a murderer after all.
I have said so many times that I am not a mystery reader, but I seem to keep picking these types of books to read. I thought this book was pretty interesting. I am also not a fan of skipping from present to past to present again, but this was done expertly. I really enjoyed reading about the trial of Grace and also excerpts from her diary when she was a nurse during WW2.

Peter Robinson is a well known author, he has written a series of mystery novels about an Inspector named Alan Banks. This is not an edge of your seat story, but I can definitely recommend it !

Sounds like a good one doesn't it??  You can pick this engrossing read up today on Amazon....




Thanks to the publsiher, Harper Collins, one lucky RBM reader will win a copy of Before the Poison.  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter...
a Rafflecopter giveaway

36 comments:

slb3334 said...

my favorite is in bed.

slb3334@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

In bed with a nice cup of tea at night!

frogz60@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Kathy at k.bose@comcawst.net I love to read in my livingroom at night.

Sarah said...

In bed with the dog and a cat or two

Sarah said...

2nd Tweet button in rafflecopter not working

sottovoce said...

On my patio, with a good cup of coffee and a pug on my lap. :-) Thank you.
jaquerichards at yahoo dot com

Crystal said...

My favorite place is either in my bed, or outside in the screen house.

babyhoneyb@aol.com

susan1215 said...

In bed I always read before I sleep

s2s2 at comcast dot net

Anonymous said...

In bed at night.

Nina C said...

Curled up in bed with a cuppa!

koddabear said...

I love reading anywhere anytime, but I quess it would have to be at night when there are no other distractions. In bed with my kitty on my lap I can read till the wee hours of the morning.

timeforbecca said...

Definitely love reading anywhere. But my favorite place is on my couch in my apartment.

Tallulah A. Scribbles said...

In a rocking chair on my porch.

unascribbles @ gmail .com

simplyinfatuated said...

I love to read snuggled up in bed :)

Jessica @ Simply Infatuated

Elizabeth said...

I like to read outside in the sunshine

Hotsnotty2 said...

My bed, thanks for the chance

Hotsnotty2@hotmail.com

mverno said...

i love reading in bed
mverno@roadrunner.com

debdenny said...

In my recliner!
debdenny at centurytel.net

Anonymous said...

in bed
gkuroda(at)gmail.com

Patricia N said...

Curled up in bed before I go to sleep.
PMNSL95 at triad dot rr dot com

Nicole22654 said...

Curled up in bed

Nicole22654@yahoo.com

Nancy said...

I like to read myself to sleep before bedtime!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Nicki's Diaper Reviews said...

I love reading in a nice warm bath!

sandyandcosmo said...

In a comfy chair with a cup of hot tea!

Ravyn Jazper-Hawke said...

The Sylvia Beach Hotel -- an author themed bed and breakfast on the coast.

Patricia N said...

I left a comment on FB as Patti Mercier NIcklas

Edward V. said...

I like to read on the parkbench in my backyard with a cat on my lap.

Mercedes said...

I love to read on a blanket in the backyard.

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

My favorite place is on my couch with no one to bother me.

vmkids3 at msn dot com

Anonymous said...

In my bed.
shawnac68@hotmail.com

Renee G said...

I love snuggling up on our sofa in the living room with a book.
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(DOT)com

Renee G said...

Entered the Arthur's travels giveaway
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(DOT)com

awhartness said...

My favorite place to read is on my front porch without the telephone.

Anonymous said...

In any comfortable chair or sofa!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

Andrea Henry said...

in the porch swing

caden at pineland.net

Jim said...

i read in my bedroom

jim.coyne2@verizon.net