Thursday, April 19, 2012

Between a Rock and a Hot Place: Why Fifty is the New Fifty by Tracey Jackson...R&G!

My mother-in-law The Queen Bee just finished up a read she really enjoyed, Between a Rock and  Hot Place:  Why Fifty is the New Fifty by Tracey Jackson..  Here is the scoop....

As she approached her fiftieth birthday, Tracey Jackson found herself bombarded by a catchphrase on everyone’s lips: “Fifty is the new thirty.” With a comedy writer’s training and a screenwriter’s eye for detail, Jackson skewers that particular myth with a hilarious, bare-knuckled, and ultimately practical appraisal of what middle age really means today. Jackson not only faces the elephant in the room, she puts it under a (very large) microscope, confronting the truth about death, work, and sex in what the French call the “third age.”

Here is what The Queen Bee had to say about it....

 
  Oh, come on, not the new thirty? I am so guilty of saying this. I think I say it so often as to convince myself !! Tracey Jackson tells it like it is and I don't really want to hear it, but I am listening. She is right, though. No matter how great my hair, skin & makeup look for "someone my age", there is no way I could keep up with a thirty year old today. Some days I can't even get out of my own way !
Turning fifty was a life altering experience, as will be turning sixty. Forty didn't bother me in the least. I wasn't ready to change my life back when I was forty. I was just barely ready at fifty proper. Jackson tells us to get ready for the change, but not our mother or grandmother's "change" ! At fifty it is time to change the way we think , more than anything else.

Jackson tells us about her experience with hormone replacement, do I or don't I? Eye lifts..what if I end up looking like a cat? Most of it is hilarious , some of it is poignant but mostly it is honest.

I whole-heartily recommend this book for woman who are approaching fifty and those of us that have gone beyond. It is time to enjoy life and to have a few laughs.
She loved it!  Special thanks to The Queen Bee for her, as always, great reviews.  Be sure to check out her site HERE (it is fantastic!). Pick up your copy of the book today on Amazon...

I am so pleased to tell you that the publisher, Harper Collins is giving one lucky RBM reader a copy of Between a Rock and a Hot Place!  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter...
a Rafflecopter giveaway

17 comments:

Patricia N said...

Hhhmm. Keep a sense of humor. That helps me with two teens and dealing with my 50's. Oh, and use sunscreen daily!
PMNSL95 at triad dot rr dot com

peg42 said...

Walk away from drama and people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad and focus on the good.

Patricia N said...

I left a comment on FB as Patti Mercier NIcklas

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

it is better to grow old than the other choice, lol
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Hifam said...

I'm not sure I have any good advice. I like the advice of surrounding yourself with people who lift you up. That seems to make life in general easier.
button: hifam7.blogspot.com

G said...

you don't see it coming

Maryann D. said...

Keep being happy and be thankful for your blessings!
twinkle at optonline dot net

Nancy said...

An great adage for any age is .... be yourself!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

DebbyM said...

Not sure I have any great advice...I'm quickly approaching that age. But I always think a good sense of humor....and prayer will get you through most situations.

Thanks,
Debby
vadebby at cox dot net

awhartness said...

My advice is to just let most things go! Like water on a duck's back. Don't stress over the things you can not change. Once it is done most of the time you can not do anything about. Focus on the future and not the pass.

awhartness said...

Left comment on Facebook.
Angela Ward Hartness

tjmetz said...

Keep a good sense of humor, be yourself and be thankful for all that you have in life!

tjmetz said...

Left a comment on Facebook - Jennifer Vice Metz

Anonymous said...

I've heard, the best is yet to come!

Ger

KrysR said...

Feel good on the inside and it will reflect on the outside!

helpful heather said...

don't take everything so serious!

Laurie said...

Stay active! it will help your mind and body