Thursday, April 5, 2012

Gossip by Beth Gutcheon...R&G!

I just finished another fantastic book put out by Harper Collins!  Gossip by Beth Gutcheon is a great read!  Here is the scoop...

The critically acclaimed author of Good-bye and Amen, Leeway Cottage, and More Than You Know returns with a sharply perceptive and emotionally resonant novel about all the ways we talk about one another, the sometimes fine line between showing concern and doing damage, and the difficulty of knowing the true obligations of friendship

Gossip
Beth Gutcheon


"Did you know that the origin of the word gossip in English is 'god-sibling'? It's the talk between people who are godparents to the same child, people who have a legitimate loving interest in the person they talk about. It's talk that weaves a net of support and connection beneath the people you want to protect."

Loviah "Lovie" French owns a small, high-end dress shop on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Renowned for her taste and discretion, Lovie is the one to whom certain women turn when they need "just the thing" for major life events—baptisms and balls, weddings and funerals—or when they just want to dish in the dressing room. Among the people who depend on Lovie's confidence are her two best friends since boarding school: Dinah Wainwright and Avis Metcalf.

Outspoken and brimming with confidence, Dinah made a name for herself as a columnist covering the doings of New York's wealthiest and most fabulous. Shy, proper Avis, in many ways Dinah's opposite, rose to prominence in the art world with her quiet manners, hard work, and precise judgment. Despite the deep affection they both feel for Lovie, they have been more or less allergic to each other since a minor incident decades earlier that has been remembered and resented with what will prove to be unimaginable consequences.

These uneasy acquaintances become unwillingly bound to each other when Dinah's favorite son and Avis's only daughter fall in love and marry. On the surface, Nick and Grace are the perfect match—a playful, romantic, buoyant, and beautiful pair. But their commitment will be strained by time and change: career setbacks, reckless choices, the birth of a child, jealousies, and rumor. At the center of their orbit is Lovie, who knows everyone's secrets and manages them as wisely as she can. Which is not wisely enough, as things turn out—a fact that will have a shattering effect on all their lives.


An astute chronicler of everything that makes us human, Beth Gutcheon delivers her most powerful and emotionally devastating novel to date. Gossip is a tale of intimacy and betrayal, trust and fidelity, friendship, competition, and motherhood that explores the myriad ways we use and abuse "information" about others—be it true, false, or imagined—to sustain, and occasionally destroy, one another.

It took me a few chapters to really get into this book but once I did, boy oh boy!  I could not read fast enough.  Once I warmed up to the classy and chic Lovie I simply wanted to devour the details of her life and those around her.  While I warmed up to Lovie, I was not exactly endeared to most of the other characters especially Dinah.  But, gossip will do that to you won't it??  I knew all the behind the scenes scoop because Lovie did and, like it or not, it tainted how I felt about her as it did Lovie. Gossip is a delicious study in friendship. loyalty, high society and, of course, Gossip!  A terrific read...pack it in your beach bag!  You can pick Gossip up today on Amazon...


I am so pleased to tell you that one lucky RBM reader will win a copy of Gossip by Beth Gutcheon! To enter click "read more" and use the Rafflecopter form provided. Good luck and thanks so much to the sponsor!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

33 comments:

Sandy VanHoey said...

I'd like to win this one for my oldest sister, she would really enjoy this I think
sandy1955 at comcasxt dot net

Debbie Petts said...

I think my Sister in law would enjoy this.

Elizabeth said...

I would like to win this for myself

LibrarySnake said...

This one, for myself

Wendy Rozema said...

i would like to win this for myself!

Robin said...

I want it for myself
robinlscott4 at hotmail dot com

Robin said...

stopped by your fb page and commented
robinlscott4 at hotmail dot com

Anonymous said...

for myself at first then after Im done I would share it!


frogz60@hotmail.com

Sarah said...

Trying for myself who will then share with friends

Sarah said...

2nd Tweet button not working in Rafflecopter

Daniel M said...

me i need something new to read! - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

Kathy said...

I'm trying to win this for myself.

GALENA said...

sweet always need another good read

Jessica said...

My mother in law would love this!

Crystal said...

I would like to win this for my sister.
babyhoneyb@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I want this book for myself.

dmoniz said...

this one i'd like for my daughter

trichie said...

myself

Anonymous said...

This would be for my little sister!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

Nancy said...

I'd like this for me and then I would share it!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

for myself
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Renee G said...

I would love to win a copy of this for me.
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(dot)com

Andrea Henry said...

I'd like to read it.
caden at pineland.net

Katie said...

I am trying to win this for myself...I love Beth Gutcheon!

Kristie said...

I would like to win this for myself! kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

Kristina J. said...

me!

BBrittBrat1398@yahoo.com said...

I would love to read this.
BBrittBrat1398@yahoo.com

Laurie said...

My sis and I would love to read this

pmj said...

I want to read this.

pjames330 at aol dot com

Candie L said...

I would like to win this for me. THank you

candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

AEKZ2 said...

I'd like to win this for me!

bloomerbear said...

I would read this and then give it to my local library

pattifritz2000 at yahoo dot com
thank you

anosweeps said...

I'm trying to win this for myself, as selfish as that sounds. :)