Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Minefields by by Steven C. Eisner...Book Tour and R&G!

Welcome to the Reviewed by Mom stop on The Minefields by Steven C. Eisner Book Tour!  In case you are new to the tour here is a brief synopsis to get you up to speed....

Situated smack between the cigarette-and-martini days of Mad Men and the nihilism of House of Lies, Eisner paints a classic roman a clef in stinging detail. Protagonist Sam Spiegel is the Golden Boy with the New York business world at his feet when he is called home to Philadelphia just as he has begun to make his mark. His father, Holocaust survivor Harry Spiegel, is ailing and it’s with reservations that Sam takes on the challenge to grow his father’s firm, Spiegel Communications, into national prominence. The complex themes of the father-and-son relationship, like those found in the works of Chaim Potok and Mario Puzo, are brought vividly to life as Sam and Harry battle over the future of the family legacy

Here is the excerpt I am lucky enough to share....

Occasionally, my father opened his eyes to see if my mother had arrived— which she had, along with my brother—and perhaps he also opened them to discern if he was, indeed, still alive. I kissed his forehead again and now made room for Mikey and Mom to hold his hand.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an advance copy of the book and I let my mother in law, The Queen Bee have first dibs.  Here is what she had to say...


Sam Spiegel was an entrepreneur from his teens. He and his friend Ben had a little music business and hired themselves out at bar mitzvahs. A popular kid at school, everyone knew he would be a success. And he was. Sam was at the top of his game in his advertising career in New York, getting ready to marry Amy, the "right" girl. Then his dad asked him to move back home and work on the family ad company, The Spiegel Agency, and bring it back to the top. Sam had always wanted to work with his dad, so off he went, bringing a not to happy Amy along with him. Most of the story focuses on Sam's relationship to his dad, his brother , his wife and his friends. It is a major struggle to get now Spiegel Communications back on it's feet. His dad, is from the old school, afraid to take risks with money, and Sam is a risk taker, it takes money to make money attitude.
Author Eisner really gets into his characters and the "dog eat dog" world of advertising. The length that some of these characters go to undermine the Spiegel business is almost unbelievable. But Eisner makes it quite believable.

Sam Spiegel not only had to resurrect a tired, worn family business, he ends up restructuring his own life, in spite of all the set backs.

I can recommend this book whether you are an avid fan of Mad Men or not. I think Steve Eisner did a great job allowing us a glimpse into the advertising world, as well as family business issues and friendships.
To read tomorrow's excerpt visit and to read past pieces click HERE. I am so pleased to tell you that one lucky RBM reader will win a copy of Steven C. Eisner's The Minefield!  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter...
a Rafflecopter giveaway

20 comments:

gail said...

would share with my husband
gkuroda(at)gmail.com

Lisa R said...

I would share with my daughter

Sibabe64 at ptd dot net

pmj said...

sharing with my kids

Nina C said...

Would share with my son and husband

Renee said...

I would share this book with my sister.

Sarah said...

Since the question posed is about another contest, I will instead say that I'm interested in reading this book because the author was compared to Mario Puzo. But if I won the chocolates, I'd share them with my family. ;)

C.P. said...

I would share with my husband & kids!

Kathy said...

I would share with my family

Nancy said...

I'd share with my friends and family.

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

My hubby will share them
vmkids3 at msn dot com

awhartness said...

I will be happy to share them with my wonderful husband.
awhartness@yahoo.com

helpful heather said...

my wonderful coworkers!! heather.loftus@aol.com

Paige said...

i would love to share them with my 2 boys!

Lauren Begnaud said...

I'd share with my boyfriend

Lauren Begnaud said...

left a facebook comment on your page (Lauren Begnaud)

Iliana Reyes said...

I would share with my friends and family!

rocky.mart@yahoo.com

Laurie said...

my daughter

Liza Vladyka said...

noone lol

Anonymous said...

Hi great website! Does running a blog such as this require a large amount of work?
I've absolutely no knowledge of programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject nevertheless I simply had to ask. Kudos!
my webpage :: satilik müstakil evler istanbul

Anonymous said...

At this time it sounds like Movable Type is the top blogging platform out there right now.
(from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?
Also visit my blog post ... satilik evler antalya