Monday, April 16, 2012

The Muppets...Out Now!

Have you all seen the newly released, The Muppets?  I have been desperately wanting to watch it with the kids and last night we finally snuggled up to watch.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed sharing favorite characters of my youth with the kids.  I was  a HUGE fan of The Muppet Show and the earlier Muppet movies so this was a real treat for me.   I have to say, going in, A&W were a little less excited than I was to watch.  They had only ever watched bits of the early Muppet Show and they were not nearly as captivated with that as I was as a kid.  Crazy, I know!  Here is the scoop on this new release and then I will tell you what we all thought!

Muppet domination continues with a hilarious new movie from Walt Disney Studios. Jason Segel, Academy Award(R) nominee Amy Adams (Best Performance By An Actress In a Supporting Role, Junebug, Doubt, The Fighter) and Academy Award winner Chris Cooper (Best Performance By An Actor In A Supporting Role, Adaptation) join everyone's favorite Muppets and an all-star celebrity cast in a comic adventure for the whole family. While on vacation in Los Angeles, Walter, the world's biggest Muppet fan, his brother Gary, and friend Mary uncover the diabolical plot of a greedy oil millionaire to destroy the Muppet Theater. Now, the Muppet-loving trio must reunite Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear and their friends to stage the greatest Muppet telethon ever and save their beloved theater. The gang is back together again in a must-own movie full of irresistible music and family fun.

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  This movie was FANTASTIC!  Really, really fantastic.  From my perspective, it was a treasure to see all my favorites (Beaker, The Chef, Animal!) back in action and at their very finest.  The gang has always worked together when under pressure (remember The Muppets Take Manhattan??) and under pressure they are!  Can they save the doomed Muppet Theater?  If you are a true Muppet fan you can likely guess how it all turns out but watching them get to the end point is full of laughs and even a few tears on my part. There was a spot when the camera panned over Kermit's old office at the studio and it showed pictures of Kermit with celebrities from the show (Julie Andrews etc...) and it just tugged at my heart.  I remember those days and to think they might fade into existence was more than I could bear...on the show OR in real life!  I don't want to give a lot away because I don't want to ruin it for you who have not seen this yet but when the whole pack of Muppets sings The Rainbow Connection I was singing along and I was flooded with happy memories of these wonderfully quirky puppets.  Keep your eyes peeled for LOTS of celebrity appearances as well...the movie is full of them!

Oh, and A&W who were maybe bigger critics than Statler and Waldorf?  The loved it!  The antics of the Muppets especially Miss Piggy and Animal had them in stitches laughing.  The adored the music (me too!) and at were at the edge of their seats wondering if the Muppets would be able to pull it together to save the studio.  The boys and I have a date this weekend to watch the old Muppet flicks and I can't wait (neither can they!).  Thanks to this movie there is a whole new generation of kids who love the Muppets and THAT makes me happy!

I highly recommend this movie for old fans and new. Even if you do not have a child to watch with, watch it yourself.  It is a great movie filled with lots of wonderful memories. I simply can't recommend it enough! 



*Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of the above mentioned DVD in order to provide a review. The opinions expressed are 100% my own.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I saw the Muppets when it was in the theater with my mom and we both loved it....there is something about Miss Piggy that just makes me love her in anything

G said...

love the muppets! the reviews of this movie were good
ceis8009 at yahoo dot com

D C said...

This isn't my favorite Muppet movie. I think it was missing the charm from other movies, didn't have much originality, and the talents of Amy Adams and Jack Black were underutilized. I won't lie though...I'm just happy to see The Muppets anywhere :) I just love the characters! Miss Piggy is my idol :)