Friday, April 20, 2012

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving....R&G!

The Queen Bee just finished up another great read (aren't we lucky here at RBM to have such great books to feed our bookworm tendencies??)....A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.  Here is a synopsis....


I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice—not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.

In the summer of 1953, two eleven-year-old boys—best friends—are playing in a Little League baseball game in Gravesend, New Hampshire. One of the boys hits a foul ball that kills the other boy's mother. The boy who hits the ball doesn't believe in accidents; Owen Meany believes he is God's instrument. What happens to Owen after that 1953 foul ball is extraordinary.

And here is what The Queen Bee had to say about it...

I will start by saying John irving is one of my favorite writers. I think I have read everything he has written and I anxiously await his next novel. His stories are so intricate, his characters so memorable and yet I am not sure I can find the words to review the book.
Owen Meany comes from a family who owns a granite quarry in Gravesend, New Hampshire.He is a very small in stature, a midget and has a voice that pierces ears drums. (In the book, Irving choose to use all caps when Owen speaks. You can almost hear him yourself) In school , the kids get a kick out of hanging Owen by the back of his pants in coat closets, they pass him back in forth in class like a doll. But they would never hurt him, he is like their pet. His best friend is John Wheelwright. John is from a very prominent lumber family. John's grandmother , the matriarch, looks down on the Meany's. Lumber is so much higher on the esteem chain then granite. John was born out of wedlock, to a beautiful mother with a beautiful singing voice. She is such a a lovely woman that no one in town thinks it scandalous at all. She has kept the truth of his father a secret from John, and he expects that someday, she will tell him. Someday never comes as she is hit on the head by a baseball during one of John's games. The ball hit by none other than Owen Meany.

Owen & John remain very good friends and the basis of the book is about that friendship.

Irving writes about the most bizarre relationships. Read any one of his books and you will be sucked right up in the weird & wonderful world of Irving's characters.

I highly recommend this book and any other book John Irving has written. Many of Irving 's novels have been made into movies. But please, do yourself a big favor, read the book first.
Wow!  This is definitely a must read according to The well read Queen Bee!  Pick up your copy today on Amazon...


I am so pleased to tell you that the publisher, Harper Collins is giving one lucky RBM reader a copy of A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving!  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter...
a Rafflecopter giveaway

25 comments:

Jackie said...

I've never read a John Irvings novel, but after reading your review, would love to.
Thank you!

LUCKYLADY48 said...

No I have never read any of John Irving's other novels.But after reading you're review it is a must have!

LUCKYLADY48 said...

I left a comment on you're Facebook page.(Darla Kidder)

Candice said...

I never had, but this sounds like an excellent story.
Thank you for the chance to win!
candicesweeps@yahoo dot com

debbie said...

I have read several of them. The world according to garp is one of my all time favorite books.

EMMAHORTON said...

HORTON111@AOL.COM

NO I HAVE NEVER READ ANY OF HIS BOOKS

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

i have not but now they are on my list
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Tes283 said...

Yes, lots, cider house, Garp, 158 lb, Hotel New Hampshire, so ya, I have read and enjoy his twisted look at our world.

tes 1283 yahoo

Miss K said...

I've read many of Irving's books...my favorite is The Hotel New Hampshire.

G said...

have never read John Irving

Marija said...

I've read The World According to Garp. It's excellent!

marija.majerle at gmail dot com

Nancy said...

I've read some of his books over the years!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever read any of his book.
shawnac68@hotmail.com

Robin said...

I have never read any of his books, but would like to
robinlscott4 at hotmail dot com

Diana said...

I have never read any of his books
hrddiana556@gmail.com

madlibs75 said...

I've read The Cider House Rules by John Irving.

casey aubut said...

I have never read John Irvings- but this book sounds wonderful!
cassandra@aubut.net

Candie L said...

I have never read any of his books. Thank you

candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

tjmetz said...

I haven't read any of his books, thanks for the chance!

Lauren Begnaud said...

The Cider House Rules. Great book.

laurenalexis at gmail dot com

Lauren Begnaud said...

left a comment on your fb page :)

laurenalexis at gmail dot com

Passport To Frugal said...

No this would be my first!
jspeachyn5 at hotmail

momma8385 said...

No I have not read any of his books yet. Thanks for the chance. :)Jeanne

Kathy Davis said...

No I have not read any of his other books, but I have read A Prayer for Owen Meany. It is absolutely one of my favorite books and I would love to have my own copy to read again.
Thanks,
Kathy Davis
kdavis1@centurytel.net

Kathy Davis said...

My FB name: Kathy Newsom Davis
Kathy Davis
kdavis1@centurytel.net