Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Reconstructionist by Nick Arvin...R&G!

I have another brand new read to tell you about today....The Reconstructionist by Nick Arvin! This new Harper Collins read is available now and my mother in law The Queen Bee got first dibs on it (it is now in my to read pile!).  Here is the scoop....


One instant can change an entire lifetime.

As a boy, Ellis Barstow heard the sound of the collision that killed Christopher, his older half brother—an accident that would haunt him for years. A decade later, searching for purpose after college, Ellis takes a job as a forensic reconstructionist, investigating and re-creating the details of fatal car accidents—under the guidance of the irascible John Boggs, who married Christopher's girlfriend. Ellis takes naturally to the work, fascinated by the task of trying to find reason, and justice, within the seemingly random chaos of smashed glass and broken lives. But Ellis is harboring secrets of his own—not only his memory of the car crash that killed his brother but also his feelings for Boggs's wife, Heather, which soon lead to a full-blown affair. And when Boggs inexplicably disappears, Ellis sets out to find him . . . and to try to make sense of the crash site his own life has become.

Raising a host of universal questions—Can science ever explain matters of the heart? Can we ever escape the gravitational pull of the past?—Nick Arvin's novel is at once deeply moving and compulsively readable.

Here is what The Queen Bee had to say about The Reconstructionist....


Ellis and Christopher Barstow grew up living near a street intersection that produced many accidents. They would hear the crash and then run through a neighbor's yard and look to see what happened. One of these crashes ended up claiming the life of Christopher. Fast forward to Ellis getting out of college and kind of floundering around, passing through an airport he sees Heather, Chris' old girlfriend and the object of his high school crush. Heather is now married to John Boggs, an accident reconstructionist, who makes Ellis a job offer he can't refuse.
Ellis & Boggs become friends, and they have an easy going work relationship. But Ellis begins to feel those old feelings for Heather and Heather & Boggs' marriage seems to be in trouble. Sound predictable?

I found I could put this book down and not pick it up for a while. The scientific parts of accident reconstruction would be interesting to someone who was interested in that sort of thing but not for me. Yes, there is a plot twist and the book leaves you wondering...but the buildup of the characters in the first chapters just doesn't follow through until the end of the book. I wish I could say great summer reading but I can't. If you were into the science of car crashes and not the characters? Maybe.

You can pick up The Reconstructionist today on Amazon....



I am so pleased to tell you that Harper Collins is giving one lucky RBM reader a copy of The Reconstructionist by Nick Arvin! Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter...
a Rafflecopter giveaway

31 comments:

Sandy VanHoey said...

I'd like to win for my daughter
sandy1955 at comcast dot net

Sandy VanHoey said...

I'd like to win for my daughter
sandy1955 at comcast dot net

Debbie Petts said...

I would like to win this for my Mom.

LibrarySnake said...

Love to win it for my mom

Janet Boyanton said...

I love to read - so it is for myself!

Nicole C. said...

I would love to win this for myself.

choateorama(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Myself, my mother in law, my dad any of us would like this book Im sure!

frogz60@hotmail.com

Daniel M said...

me i need something new to read - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

GALENA said...

avid reader always looking for next book

Jessica said...

I would love it for myself!

Crystal said...

I would like to win this for myself
babyhoneyb@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I want to win it for myself.

dmoniz said...

i want it for me and my daughter we share most of our books

trichie said...

for myself

Anonymous said...

I would love this for my bookshelf!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

Nancy said...

I'd like it for me - and then I'd share it!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

for myself
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Hotsnotty2 said...

I would love to win this for myself.

Hotsnotty2@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would like to read this myself.
shawnac68@hotmail.com

Renee G said...

I would like to win this for me.
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(DOT)com

Andrea Henry said...

I would like to read it.

caden at pineland.net

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to win it for myself!

Ger

Holly S. said...

Myself!

Kristie said...

I would love to win this for myself. kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

Iliana Reyes said...

I would love to win this for myself because I love to read!!
rocky.mart@yahoo.com

kristina j. said...

myself!

pmj said...

I want to read this and then my daughter.
pjames330 at aol dot com

Candie L said...

I would love to read this. Thank you

candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

sandyandcosmo said...

I would like to win this for myself!

anosweeps said...

I want to win it for me!

Karen said...

I'd win for myself. Thanks for the giveaway.

President(dot)peaches(at)hotmail(dot)com