Friday, April 20, 2012

This Will Make You Smarter by Mr. John Brockman....R&G!

Looking for a fascinating new read?  Check out This Will Make You Smarter by Mr. John Brockman.  Here is the scoop...

Featuring a foreword by David Brooks, This Will Make You Smarter presents brilliant—but accessible—ideas to expand every mind.

What scientific concept would improve everybody’s cognitive toolkit? This is the question John Brockman, publisher of Edge.org, posed to the world’s most influential thinkers. Their visionary answers flow from the frontiers of psychology, philosophy, economics, physics, sociology, and more. Surprising and enlightening, these insights will revolutionize the way you think about yourself and the world.

Daniel Kahneman on the “focusing illusion” • Jonah Lehrer on controlling attention • Richard Dawkins on experimentation • Aubrey De Grey on conquering our fear of the unknown • Martin Seligman on the ingredients of well-being • Nicholas Carr on managing “cognitive load” • Steven Pinker on win-win negotiating • Daniel C. Dennett on benefiting from cycles • Jaron Lanier on resisting delusion • Frank Wilczek on the brain’s hidden layers • Clay Shirky on the “80/20 rule” • Daniel Goleman on understanding our connection to the natural world • V. S. Ramachandran on paradigm shifts • Matt Ridley on tapping collective intelligence • John McWhorter on path dependence • Lisa Randall on effective theorizing • Brian Eno on “ecological vision” • Richard Thaler on rooting out false concepts • J. Craig Venter on the multiple possible origins of life • Helen Fisher on temperament • Sam Harris on the flow of thought • Lawrence Krauss on living with uncertainty

The well read Queen Bee had this to say about the book...

Each year, the Edge Foundation poses a question to the world's scientists; people that lead the world in various fields. The answers get edited and then printed and bound as a book. A very interesting book I might add. When I first chose to read this book, I wondered if I would understand the question , let alone the answers. I think that scientists talk amongst themselves and are understood, but talking to a layman is another thing completely!


The questions for 2011 was: What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit? (So I understood this as a concept that would improve our powers of reasoning)



The thing I liked about this book was that you didn't have to jump in and read uninterrupted the many different answers. Each answer is given it's own chapter and title, each is a short essay. Some answers will be useful in your everyday life, some may be useful with something you are struggling with but all will provoke thought. Isn't that what a good book does?

I found some insight into fear/risk with two essays on uncertainty. Another essay , "Each of us is ordinary, yet one of a kind" by Samuel Barondes is particularly interesting. By being ordinary, we find compassion for others. By being one a kind, we find creativity and pride.

So, I can easily recommend this book, it will definitely make you smarter.
This Will Make You Smarter is available now and you can pick it up on Amazon for just $10.53 (a 34% savings!)....



I am so pleased to tell you that the publisher, Harper Collins is giving one lucky RBM reader a copy of This Will Make You Smarter by John Brockman.  Thanks so much the the sponsor and good luck!  To enter click "read more" and use the Rafflecopter form that follows.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

24 comments:

PurpleMist. said...

Just entered :D
Honestly I hadn't heard about this novel until I saw it on here, and now I want to read it because of the reviews you posted :D

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

just would like to see if it id good
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Hifam said...

This book sounds fascinating to me. I'd love to read what the scientists have to say about these topics. jody h
button: hifam7.blogspot.com

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

I could stand to be a little smarter if this book helps that would be great. I've been having too many dumb moments lately LOL.

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

Your button is on my blog at http://savingmoneycanbefun.blogspot.com

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

Facebook comment https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=401506983205856&id=112329868790237

Madeline Brubaker said...

Sounds interesting now that I've read your review. I love psychology and reading about the newest insights.

Marija said...

It sounds like a insightful book that I could come back to again and again.

marija.majerle at gmail dot com

Nancy said...

I'd like to read this because it sounds like an interesting challenge!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Daniel M said...

sounds like a good one - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

Mandy B said...

I think we all could use a little intelligence booster at times.

RILEKAT said...

This book covers such a wide range of topics, and could be very informative. Scientists come across as so analytical, I wonder if they are down to earth at all in this book?

RILEKAT said...

commented on your FB page
Kat Riley
rilekat@gmail.com

one frugal lady said...

This sounds like a very interesting book! Thanks for the chance!
onecheaplady@yahoo.com

Melysah Bunting said...

I love books.

Carl said...

Chock full of essays by so many visionary scientists and thinkers. I'd love to get a peek at what these folks are thinking about lately. Thanks.

carlscott(at)prodigy(dot)net(dot)mx

madlibs75 said...

I'd like to read this book because I know it would spur some interesting conversations with my husband.

libbylopez AT hotmail DOT com

pmj said...

I could use a little smartness

pjames330 at aol dot com

Candie L said...

I always want to feel smarter. Thank you

candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

bettycd said...

We read books for a lot of reasons. The best books weaves a storyline around new and different situations from which we learn.
Hadn't heard of this book before but the reviews were enticing.
tjandbcd at optonline.net

Mama Love said...

i havent ever heard of this book until now and now that i've read the review i want to read!!!

tjmetz said...

This really sounds interesting, outside the scope of what I normally read so would love to give it a try!

Lauren Begnaud said...

I read some Richard Dawkins in college...I'd like to read this to brush up on my "smarter" reading

laurenalexis at gmail dot com

Guzmanvtnk said...

I always want to feel smarter. Thank you candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com