Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Bond: Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them.....R&G



Since I was a little girl I have loved animals.  Growing up we had many pets in our lives; dogs, rabbit, guinea pigs and cats.  This past year though, I truly fell in love with an animal.  I rescued a jack russell terrier mix  pitbull mix.  She has been the most amazing dog I've ever known.  Sure she jumps all over people, sleeps on the furniture and has sloppy leash manners but we have a bond.  She's cuddly, sweet, and loves nothing more than hugs and kisses.  So, when this book arrived I was definitely interested.  The chapters on animal cruelty were difficult to get through but I know it's information people need to hear in order for change to occur.  At the end of the book I enjoyed the Fifty Ways to Help Animals section.  It was 50 fairly easy things that anyone can do to make a difference.  It took a huge concept and broke it down into things you could do, today.  I like that.


More about this book:

In countless fascinating ways, our relationship with animals is an essential part of the human experience. Now, one of the world's leading champions of animal welfare offers a dramatic examination of our age-old bond to all creatures. Wayne Pacelle explores the many ways animals contribute to our happiness and well-being, and he reveals scientists' newfound understanding of their remarkable emotional and cognitive capacities. Pacelle also takes on animal cruelty in its many varieties, as well as stubborn opponents of animal protection—from multinational agribusiness corporations to the National Rifle Association and even our own government. An instant classic, The Bond reminds us that animals are at the center of our lives, not just a backdrop, and how we treat them is one of the great themes of the human story.

Interested in reading this book?  Enter to win a copy by clicking read more below and entering through Rafflecopter!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

32 comments:

Carrie said...

I have a dog and two cats that are family to us. There is no better bond than with an animal you rescue.

debbie said...

I have a twenty year old gray and white cat, I have had since she was 2 weeks old. Even though I do have other animals, and love them, she will always be my favorite.

Anonymous said...

My 12 year old pitbull who passed away December of 2010. He was my best friend. He went everywhere with me. I became a vegetarian and studying to be a zoologist, because of him. He is the best dog anyone could of ever had, and I am very involved in trying to educate people on Pitbulls. They are incredible dogs who love like no other.
RIP Mally. I love you always.

Jaimedoolittle@aol.com

Shirley Tener said...

I have a bond with my papillion, Chinney, before that it was Chasey for 14 years. Now I am getting chickens and really loves me. Its funny..

Nancy said...

We had a bond with our Westie Charlie. He was very loyal and lived to be over 100 in "people years".


Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

CAJUNMAN12 said...

I had a bond with my dog Dutchess when I was a small kid. She would protect me and make sure I would not get in trouble

Sharon Braswell said...

I rehabilitate orphaned or injured opossumns when I receive them! Also work with Paws for abandoned dogs and cats.
Thank You!

Sharon Braswell said...

Commented on your Facebook Page on 5/19/12 @ Sharon Braswell.
Thank You!

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

my dog razzle and my pony when I was little named Star
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Iliana R said...

I have a bond with my little dog, Rocky, because I have had him since he was 2 months old and now he recently had his 6th birthday!

rocky.mart at yahoo dot com

jayedee said...

i have a bond with all of the furbabies that share my space....and the feathered, finned and scaly ones too...but the closest bond i've ever had with a non-human being was with Sugar...a pit bull that wandered onto our property years ago and never left...she was my heart and i miss her every day!

ntiveheart@gmail.com or
jayedee.dewitt@gmail.com

tjmetz said...

I have a bond with my African Grey - his name is Oscar, named after Oscar the Grouch =)
Jennifer
draoi7383 @ yahoo.com

Kendra Warstler said...

I have an extremely close bond with my yorkie Bentley. He has always been a loyal and faithful companion.

Amanda C said...

I have a special bond with my 11 year old cat, Whiskers. He is diabetic and very spoiled.

amanda.corley@ymail.com

Christie said...

My mini dachsund Mollie.

tavernie said...

I have a strong bond with my Old English Bull Dog Rocky!
ptavernie at yahoo dot com

Monja Blue said...

I have a special bond with my neighbor's cat Kitty Boo!

MonjaBlue(at)gmail(dot)com

Sally Guillen said...

I have my two babies that I have a close bond with. I have my 9yr old pit, Budha and my 1yr old Chi, Bear. I know my Budha is getting up there in age and I know it's going to kill me when he does leave.

momma8385 said...

My little chihuahua Buster who is 7 years old. And last Saturday my other Chihuahua who was 14.5 (Darcy) past away. I am still missing her so bad.
Thank you for the chance.
:)Jeanne B.T.

marksgirl said...

i don't have a pet, i have a 4 legged furry son that i absolutely adore. we rescued him from a flea bitten house where he had been dumped 2 weeks before. i even hire a lady across the street to come ove, scoop him up, and ley him play with her dog for an hour or two every day. i dread the thought of what life will be like without him in about 10 years.

Molly W. (infertilemommy) said...

I have a dog Zoe Doddle & a Cat Iz-a-bean. I love both with all my heart.

Caitlin McClure said...

My cats!

Crib Couture said...

my cat!

Crib Couture said...

your button is at http://cribcouture.blogspot.com

07violet said...

I have bonds with my current pets but I have bonded with many animals over the years, very loving and intelligent animals with lots of personality

alterna7 at hotmail dot com

Shelley said...

I am an animal lover. I have had a special bond with my first dog as an adult. She was awesome! We had her 16yrs.
mrspoofa(at)aol.com

The Sleepy Dreamer said...

My sisters dog.

Leah Baird said...

My sisters dog.

Donna said...

Our black lab.
donna444444@yahoo.com

Jen Horner said...

My cat, Baby!
genij80@yahoo.com

savannah said...

I have a black lab Lucy and a beagle Emma. I love them both very much but my bond was with my rescue dog who died in January. He had cancer so he had to be put to sleep :( I think my bond was strongest with him because the day I went to adopt him I remember looking in his pen at the shelter and seeing the saddest dog in the world. I adopted him and promised him he would never be sad again :)
I miss Rocky very much he was a blue heeler shepard mix.

Michellehcdh said...

Phen375 Exercise Does Phen375 Work