Thursday, May 10, 2012

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: The definitive 4th edition...R&G


I have never considered myself to be very artistic.  I can look at something and copy it so that you could recognize it but without a picture reference I've got little.  I loved that the first chapter of this book is called Drawing and the Art of Bicycle Riding.  The title itself was a bit odd in a book about drawing but let me explain.  Betty Edwards compares teaching someone to draw with teaching someone to ride a bike.  They are both skills that are more a "do" than an "explain in words".  It made sense to me, especially after teaching my boys to ride their bikes in the last few years.  With that simple comparison Betty Edwards had me interested.  It was interesting to read about the brain and the ways it can affect our art abilities.  I did a little drawing and did make some improvements so I would consider that a success.  Definitely worth a read if you are interested in art. 

More on this book:

A revised edition of the classic drawing book that has sold more than 1.7 million copies in the United States alone.Translated into more than seventeen languages, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is the world's most widely used drawing instruction book. Whether you are drawing as a professional artist, as an artist in training, or as a hobby, this book will give you greater confidence in your ability and deepen your artistic perception, as well as foster a new appreciation of the world around you. This revised/updated fourth edition includes: a new preface and introduction; crucial updates based on recent research on the brain's plasticity and the enormous value of learning new skills/ utilizing the right hemisphere of the brain; new focus on how the ability to draw on the strengths of the right hemisphere can serve as an antidote to the increasing left-brain emphasis in American life-the worship of all that is linear, analytic, digital, etc.; an informative section that addresses recent research linking early childhood "scribbling" to later language development and the importance of parental encouragement of this activity; and new reproductions of master drawings throughout A life-changing book, this fully revised and updated edition of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is destined to inspire generations of readers to come.

WIN a copy of this book by entering below! a Rafflecopter giveaway

23 comments:

Fab Kate said...

I'm only kinda artistic, and I LOVE this book. I actually want it for my autistic daughter, who IS an artist... an animator. I think this will help her develop multiple styles, something very important in her field. She has an earlier edition of this book and LOVES it!

Hifam said...

I love quilting and digital scrapbooking, but that is the extent of my artistic ability. This looks like an interesting book.
button: hifam7.blogspot.com

debbie said...

I have always loved drawing and painting. I can do most of the crafts.

Kimberly R. said...

As a child i have always loved drawing and sketching.

Mayra Limeira said...

I absolutely love to draw with Nankin pens and, also, paint T-Shirts.

gail said...

not too good with art but i like doing it
gkuroda(at)gmail.com

Nancy said...

I am creative making cards and scrapbooking, but could use a lot of guidance in drawing!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Marija said...

My artistic outlet is photography, although I have recently been interested in watercolors.

marija.majerle at gmail dot com

Sharon Braswell said...

I love sketching,but need a picture to go by to get a good rendition. I love free form drawing and painting also.
Thank You!

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

drawing cartoon scribbles
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Iliana R said...

I like drawing when I fell inspired but I could definately use the help in learning new techniques!

rocky.mart at yahoo dot com

Kendra Warstler said...

I love to paint. I have done it since i was a child. I was diagnosed with RA about 10 years ago at the age of 21 but despite the diagnosis and the pain sometimes associated with painting i still manage to get a few things done a year.

Deb Anderson said...

I've heard so much about this book, and what I've heard is that it isn't limited just to drawing but applies to any artistic endeavor. I'm a writer, so I'd be interested in learning more about right brain.

Monja Blue said...

I've heard so much about this book!
Would love to explore my artistic side! Thanks for a great giveaway!

Christine Jessamine said...

i am not very artistic at all. but i am working on it!

christinejessamine at hotmail dot com

Caitlin McClure said...

love photography and sometimes I try to draw stuff

Crib Couture said...

I can draw really well most thing except people and am super crafty, love to sew, decorate cakes, etc.

Crib Couture said...

your button is at http://cribcouture.blogspot.com

07violet said...

I like to draw and paint but I don't think I'm very good at it, I can do better when I spend more time on something

alterna7 at hotmail dot com

Donna said...

I am not very artistic, but I would like to learn more.
donna444444@yahoo.com

Kendra Gillilan said...

Love to draw, got out of it as an adult, great book
Kendraco22@yahoo.com

Kristie said...

I do not have much artistic ability, but I would like to. kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

Alex said...

I am creative making cards and scrapbooking, but could use a lot of guidance in drawing! Nancy allibrary (at) aol (dot) com