Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Jackie After O by Tina Cassidy...R&G!

Earlier this month a new book was released about the glamorous former First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.  Jackie After O by Tina Cassiday is available now, just in time for summer reading.  Here is the scoop...

Defined in the public eye by her two high-profile marriages, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis faced a personal crossroads on the eve of 1975. Her relationship with Aristotle Onassis was crumbling while his health was rapidly declining. Her children were nearing adulthood, soon to leave her with an empty nest. Both death and scandal were about to strike yet again. But 1975 would also be a time of incredible growth and personal renaissance for Jackie, the year in which she reinvented herself and rediscovered talents and passions she had set aside for her roles as wife and mother.

In Jackie After O, acclaimed author and journalist Tina Cassidy explores this prolific yet incredibly daunting year in the life of Jacqueline Onassis, including her part in the campaign to preserve Grand Central Terminal in New York City; her pursuit of a real career, in the editorial department of Viking Press; the death of her second husband and her fraught relationship with his surviving daughter; and the London bombing that almost took her own daughter's life. Cassidy has unearthed new information from archives and original interviews, and reveals intimate stories about the projects and interests of Jackie's earlier years that would lay the foundation for her life beginning in 1975, from an internship at Vogue to her meticulous restoration of the White House when she was First Lady.

The Queen Bee got first dibs on this book and this is what she had to say...


I, like everyone else on that fateful day, remember where I was when President Kennedy got shot. I was home sick from school, my mom had gone to tea next door with our neighbor Arlene. I was sitting there watching TV, when the news bulletin came on. I went running next door to tell my mom. Camelot was no more.
I was very interested to see if this author could add anything new to what we already knew about Jackie O. As I understood the book to be about one year in the life, I was pretty confused when the first half of the book was jumping back and forth. I could not figure out what year the author, Cassidy, was writing about. When she finally started telling us about Ari Onassis, I figured it out, 1975. The year Jackie took on the City of NY over the proposed demolition of Grand Central Station. The year Jackie became a book editor for Viking. The year Aristotle Onassis died, and left her a widow once again.
I am not sure that this book gave me awhile lot more insight then I already had by reading newspaper & magazine articles. There were plenty of news stories on TV, telling us all about the fight over Onassis' millions.
Unfortunately for Cassidy, Jackie O's life played out in the press. I kept reading, wanting to read something that was new and unpublished. I didn't get what I wanted. What I did get was a reminder of how Jackie could twist people around her finger, and got what she wanted. How powerful she was in that regard ! She did have some fine victories in the fight to save historical buildings. She had great success at Viking and then again at Double Day. She did finally come into her own. But I am sad to say, that the mystery that was Jackie Kennedy Onassis, went to the grave with her.
I recommend this book if you would like to refresh your memory about the sometimes glamorous, but mostly tragic life of Jackie O.

You can pick up a copy of this book today on Amazon at 35% off!!  Grab one for some summer reading...




I am so pleased to tell you that the publisher is giving one lucky RBM reader a copy of Jackie After O!  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter... a Rafflecopter giveaway

53 comments:

Rincewind99 said...

My living room, on a big, red, comfortable sofa with a huge mug of hot tea :)

gail said...

my living room couch
gkuroda(at)hawaii.edu

none said...

I'd love to read this in my comfy chair in my bedroom. professor.advice
@
gmail.
com

Monja Blue said...

My cozy hammock!
MonjaBlue(at)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

I do most of my reading in bed.

dario moniz said...

i love reading at the beach

yanktheese@yahoo.com

Jean said...

my bed

Katie R. said...

I love curling up with a book on my couch while the fireplace is on

Shelley P said...

My big comfy chair : )

EandJ said...

My favorite place to curl up with a good book is on my mom's screened in porch on the lounger with the waterfall and fire pit on (ideally without my kids lol)

Hifam said...

I love to read anywhere, but my bed is my favorite place. jody h
button: hifam7.blogspot.com

toughturtles said...

in my bedroom

Emily Norman said...

In bed.

sandyandcosmo said...

On my front porch on a summer afternoon, with a tall glass of iced tea!

phxbne said...

in bed

Anonymous said...

In my recliner!

Nickolay said...

In my chair at the cabin

CAJUNMAN12 said...

by the pool

Amy said...

By the pool!
soonermom76(at)gmail.com

Mercedes said...

I love to read in bed. It feels luxurious.

Kendra Warstler said...

I love to get in the bubble bath after the kids go to sleep at night and read :)

Minding Spot said...

I like to read in bed.

Thanks for the chance!

wendyhines at hotmail dot com

Iliana Reyes said...

I love to read on my big comfy couch!

rocky.mart@yahoo.com

Shelley said...

I read everywhere-in bed, outdoors, waiting in line, on the couch, even in the car sometimes--not while I'm driving of course!

Anonymous said...

A comfortable couch!

theyyyguy@yahoo.com

Candie L said...

I love to lay on the couch. Thank you

candieluster(at)gmail(dot)com

Lisa said...

on the couch

Hotsnotty2 said...

In my bed, thanks!

Hotsnotty2@hotmail.com

C.P. said...

My favorite place to read is my couch because part of it reclines and I have a side table for my cup of coffee. That and a blanket and I am all set for story time- mommy style!

Laurie said...

curled up on my couch with my kitty cats

Marcela said...

It might be odd, but I enjoy reading in my car with the radio on. *while it's parked, of course* :)

laura abel said...

My comfy recliner!

ellie said...

In my cozy bed.

Erin Cook said...

on the comfy sofa

Erin Cook said...

said hello on facebook ERin Cook
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=425883437434877&id=112329868790237
cookster77@aol.com

Marissa said...

I love to curl up on my living room couch with a cup of coffee and a good book

Lisa R said...

My couch in our family room with a nice cup of tea

sibabe64 at ptd dot net

kat said...

On my couch with a cup of tea and a throw.
kat_emerick@yahoo.com

paige jagan said...

in bed

daveshir2005 said...

I love to lay on my coach and read.

daveshir2005@yahoo.com

fb/ shirley greenawalt zolenski

daveshir2005 said...

grabbed button
http://makingmoneyandwinningsweepstakes.blogspot.com

daveshir2005@yahoo.com

fb/ shirley greenawalt zolenski

helpful heather said...

my backyard! heather.loftus@aol.com

Jim said...

i like to read in my bedroom

jim.coyne2@verizon.net

Zachary Moore said...

on my floor mattress

Nicole C. said...

I love to curl up in my bed with a good book.

choateorama(at)gmail(dot)com

bettycd said...

My fave place to read is back in the bedroom. It's quiet and a cozy place to read.

Crib Couture said...

In the lap of my daughter's gigantic teddy bear. lol Thanks for the chance to win~

Crib Couture said...

http://cribcouture.blogspot.com is the location of your button.

Jessica Anderson said...

My favorite place to read is snuggled up to my honey on the couch.

jessicabanks1721@yahoo.com

Atreau said...

I love to curl up with a good book in bed before falling asleep.

Jessica said...

On my couch!

jessicaahays at hotmail dot com

Swtlilchick said...

My favorite place to curl up with a good book is in my bed.

CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com

Swtlilchick said...

I commented on your facebook wall
(Charlene Kuser) https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=426292930727261&id=112329868790237

CharlieGurl57@aol.com