Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Siblings Without Rivalry...R&G!

I have just finished reading what has quickly become one of my favorite parenting books...Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.  This book is an incredibly thoughtful guide to raising children who are friends instead of adversaries.  Here is the scoop....

The #1 New York Times best-selling guide to reducing hostility and generating goodwill between siblings.
Already best-selling authors with How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish turned their minds to the battle of the siblings. Parents themselves, they were determined to figure out how to help their children get along. The result was Siblings Without Rivalry. This wise, groundbreaking book gives parents the practical tools they need to cope with conflict, encourage cooperation, reduce competition, and make it possible for children to experience the joys of their special relationship. With humor and understanding much gained from raising their own children Faber and Mazlish explain how and when to intervene in fights, provide suggestions on how to help children channel their hostility into creative outlets, and demonstrate how to treat children unequally and still be fair. Updated to incorporate fresh thoughts after years of conducting workshops for parents and professionals, this edition also includes a new afterword.
I am an only child so, to be honest, the whole sibling thing is new territory for me with A, W & R.  When I was a kid I thought children who had brothers and sisters were just the lucky ones who had a constant playmate.  Now as a mom to three, I know a constant playmate can quickly turn into a battle mate!  Siblings Without Rivalry gave detailed ideas and strategies to help your children get along throughout the ages. 
I found the layout to be very appealing.  There were real life stories taken from the workshops which provided lots of variation in tales of sibling dynamics and troubles in ways that were very relatable.  The book was not at all "preachy" (as I have found some parenting books to be) and it provided you with real life tools to help your children become lifelong friends.  I paid special attention to the sections on not comparing your children because, as a mom of twins, it is sometimes very difficult not to do that.  I am trying to be sure to give all of the children some special time when the focus is on them alone.  It is hard to always share the spotlight!  Faber and Mazlish really do provide practical advice that makes the often bumpy parenting road ride much more smoothly.  If you are a parent to more than one this is a MUST!   Pick up your copy today...


I am so happy to tell you that one lucky RBM reader will win a copy of Siblings Without Rivalry.  Thank so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter... a Rafflecopter giveaway

26 comments:

Rincewind99 said...

Hardest thing for me is to find enough time to spend with kids. I always feel that I should sacrifice more, on the other hand I cannot work less because we are tight on money nowadays... It's troubling me a lot. I wish I could work at home and be there with them...

gail said...

juggling work and family
gkuroda(at)hawaii.edu

Nancy said...

The biggest challenge for parents is work / life balance.

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Christie said...

Once they become mobile LOL. Really I think it is a challenge not wanting to step in when someone hurts their feelings at any age.

Lindsey Gain said...

With a new baby, it's making sure my oldest never feels left out!

EandJ said...

My biggest challenge is being the best I can for each of my children's personalities. I have a natural born leader girl and a super active and determined baby boy. Each of them got the strongest of our genes so it is challenging

Char W said...

Biggest challenge is trying to balance/juggle everything. We have a school age child and preschooler who don't always get along very well. I have been hearing a lot of "It's not fair that..." lately.

Char W said...

Follow on pinterest as Charissa Wagner

Mayla Moore said...

My biggest challenge right now is tattling. Trying to explain when it is important to tell mommy and when to just let it go.

Jessica said...

The kids bugging each other & then whining about it

CAJUNMAN12 said...

The biggest challenge is having time to spend with the kids because of too much work

Char W said...

Facebook user name Charissa Wagner

Nickolay said...

Finding time to myself to reflect

Tamar said...

right now? it's the newborn who feeds every hour :)

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

letting them make mistakes
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Renee said...

I am pregnant with my second child now and I have zero energy lots of days, which makes being a good mom to my 5 year old rather difficult!

yeloechikee at hotmail dot com

Kristie said...

It's hard to watch twins who are almost 2. They have so much energy! kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

awhartness said...

My biggest parenting challenge is letting go of one of my sons who just moved out of our home. I find myself trying to do things for him where as I should let him grow up.
awhartness@yahoo.com

Our Village is a Little Different said...

I have identical twins, and people are always comparing them. I spend so much time trying to emphasize their wonderful, unique traits. I also wish I had more time with them one on one. Just me with boy one, and just me with boy two. Special dedicated times where they are themselves, and not "the boys".

Thanks for the chance to win. It looks like a good book.
-Catherine

Anne D. said...

I think deciding whether everything has to be "fair" or not:) and getting rid of the attitude I keep facing. anne

Crib Couture said...

The biggest challenge we face is making enough individual time for everyone. With 5 kids and two full time working parents, it's hard but a top priority at our house. Thanks for the chance to win!

Crib Couture said...

http://cribcouture.blogspot.com is where your button is.

mindomatter76 said...

Homeschooling my son that has ADHD. Actually, just dealing with his issues all together. I love the fact that I am able to stay at home w/my kids.

Ashley said...

The biggest parenting challenge for me is helping the kids get along.

Paige & Casey @7kidsandus said...

keeping them entertained!

Laurie said...

Dealing with my newly teen daughter and her 'attitude"!