Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Thirteen: A Novel by Susie Moloney....R&G!

You all know how I just love to lose myself in a great book, right?  Well for the past week I have been reading one with one eye open most of the time....The Thirteen:  A Novel by Susie Moloney.  Why, you ask, am I reading with one eye?  Because I am a big wimp and this book was super creepy yet so good I could not fathom finishing it!  Here is what had me acting like a big scaredy cat each time I had to go into the basement alone....

Desperate Housewives meets The Witches of Eastwick in Susie Moloney’s wonderfully creepy novel, The Thirteen. A paranormal thriller that blends contemporary suburban concerns and mores with the fiendishly supernatural, The Thirteen is the story of a woman who returns to her childhood home with her daughter, only to discover that the community is now run by a group of witches with nasty plans for the both of them. A wonderfully dark and original tale, The Thirteen will appeal to a wide range of readers—from fans of Laura Kasischke, Jennifer McMahon, Melissa De la Cruz, and Melissa Marr to anyone who has ever appreciated the delicious chills of Rosemary’s Baby.

Book Description

Haven Woods is suburban heaven, a great place to raise a family. It's close to the city, quiet, with great schools and its own hospital right up the road. Property values are climbing, and the crime rate is practically nonexistent.

Paula Wittmore hasn't been back to Haven Woods since she left as a disgraced teenager. Now she's returning to care for her suddenly ailing mother, and she's bringing her daughter and a pile of emotional baggage. She's also bringing, unknowingly, the last chance for her mother's closest frenemies . . . twelve women bound together by a powerful secret that requires the sacrifice of a thirteenth.

Creepy City!!!  This book was so good that I just could not put it down no matter how freaky it got.  This neighborhood is NOT the one you want to live in.  I really enjoyed the main character Paula and I really felt myself pulling for her even BEFORE I knew what the scary neighborhood witches had in store for her and her daughter Rowan.  Yikes!  This group gives new meaning to the saying "with friends like this who needs enemies?"!  There were side stories within the main story which offered even more depth to the pages.  I think it would be interesting for the author to do a prequel to better get to know some of the other characters.  I will warn you that this book contained a few parts that were a bit stomach turning but it did fit in with the story line so I did not find it to be "too much".  If you are looking for a gripping read, pick up The Thirteen.  Just be prepared to sleep with the lights on for awhile!  You can order on Amazon...




I am so pleased to tell you that the publisher is offering one lucky RBM reader a copy of The Thirteen:  A Novel by Susie Moloney!  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter... a Rafflecopter giveaway

32 comments:

Krista Raven said...

I would love to enter but for some reason rafflecopter won't let me click the enter button. Sorry
But can't wait to read

Susie Moloney said...

Thank you, "Mom" for an awesome review!! I just love it!

Beth Larrabee said...

I enjoy a good spooky book!

Beth Larrabee said...

I have your button on Musing Mainiac.... http://musingmainiac.com/affiliates

Lauren Begnaud said...

scary books totally keep me up after reading...but I love them

laurenalexis at gmail dot com

Lauren Begnaud said...

left a comment on your facebook page

Nancy said...

Scary books sometimes keep me up late at night.

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Renee G said...

A little of both --- I love Scary books, but they've been known to keep me up all night as well.
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(DOT)com

KatieRox4You said...

I really love scary stories!
Thanks!!!
Katie
katielovesdeals@yahoo.com

Joy said...

Yes!! Books and movies.
magic5905 at embarqmail dot com

sweetsue said...

I love scary stories. Stephen King was my first love!
(Susan Chester)

ape2016 said...

I like scary books, but I won't read them before bed
april yedinak

Anonymous said...

yup, like them
gkuroda(at)gmail.com

Amy B said...

Both! But I love it!

RJ said...

I love scary books & sometimes get spooked!

rjwhiggins@aol.com

Melissa Say What? said...

I like scary books. It spares me from watching the gore on screen.

Melissa Say What? said...

Melissa M. Miller (FB comment name)

Sharon Braswell said...

Yes I love Scary books but I read them in the Daylight and take a break when I get to the Scary Part!
Thank you!

Sharon Braswell said...

Commented on your Facebook Page 5/19/12 @ Sharon Braswell
Thank You!

samantha said...

I like scary stories
begesw@yahoo.com

sottovoce said...

I love scary books....fun and exciting! :-) Thank you.
jaquerichards at yahoo dot com

CAJUNMAN12 said...

I like scary books

Katie said...

I love scary books - but admittedly a few have kept me up at night!

Valerie Taylor Mabrey said...

like them but they make me pause out in the dark
vmkids3 at msn dot com

Tamar said...

I do, I think the thinking about them helps me sleep better, believe it or not.

07violet said...

I like them, just prefer reading them during the day

alterna7 at hotmail dot com

07violet said...

I like them, just prefer reading them during the day

alterna7 at hotmail dot com

Candice said...

I LOVE scary books, but must read them during the day and then watch cartoons with the kids or watch something funny before bed. My imagination is too good and runs wild. Thank you!
candicesweeps at yahoo dot com

Diana said...

I love a good scary book!
hrddiana556@Gmail.com

Lindsay B said...

Yes, i like them.

AEKZ2 said...

I love scary books!

michedt said...

I depends on the scary. I can handle vampires and such, but if you throw gabe in there from pet sematary you've lost me. He scares me so much! UGH.
michedt at yahoo dot com