Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Queen: A Life in Brief by Robert Lacey....R&G!

Did you all get excited about the Queen's Jubilee?  I have always been fascinated by the royal family....so glamorous!  There is a new book out now which offers an inside look at the Queen....The Queen:  A Life in Brief by Robert Lacey is out now.  Here is the scoop....

Elizabeth II was not born to be queen. She came into the world on April 21, 1926, the equivalent of the modern Princess Beatrice, first-born daughter of the Duke of York, destined to flutter on the royal fringe. So while Lilibet was brought up with almost religious respect for the crown, there seemed no chance of her inheriting it. Her head was never turned by the personal prospect of grandeur—which is why she would prove so very good at her job. Elizabeth II's lack of ego was to prove the paradoxical secret of her greatness.

For more than thirty years, acclaimed author and royal biographer Robert Lacey has been gathering material from members of the Queen's inner circle—her friends, relatives, private secretaries, and prime ministers. Now, in The Queen, Lacey offers a life of the celebrated monarch, told in six succinct chapters, accentuated by elegant color and black-and-white photographs that capture the distinctive flavor of passing eras and reveal how Elizabeth II adapted—or, on occasions, regally declined to adapt—to changing times.

Here is what my mother in law, The Queen Bee (find here fabulous blog HERE!) had to say...

I am a big fan of British sitcoms, and don't even mention Downtown Abbey to me, off the charts love that British mini-series. (Anxiously awaiting season 3) So I was glad to read a book about the woman who has been Queen of England for as long I have been on the planet. A Royal Downtown Abbey, with all kinds of glimpses of everyday life and scandalous behavior.Lacey is known for his meticulous research so I knew at least I would be reading true accounts of life in Buckingham Palace.
Growing up, Princess Lillibet was never considered for the throne. She grew up privileged but not egotistical. Her life took a drastic turn with the death of her father on Feb 6th, 1952. She would become Elizabeth II, Queen of England. She wasn't quite ready for the job in the beginning, but most feel she has become a true pillar of strength to the British people. This year England celebrates her 60 years on the throne. It has not always been smooth, there have been some bumps along the way. At her side, Prince Phillip, is actually a fifth cousin, 5 years her senior. They met many years before they married at family occasions, and Lacey reveals she was in love with him from the time she was thirteen, maybe before that. I was particularly interested in the Prince Charles/Camilla Shand Parker-Bowles story. Acting on advice from his mentor and "Uncle", Lord Mountbatten, Charles played house with Camilla, fell in love with Camilla, but she was not the one to marry. He needed a sweet innocent girl for that. Enter Diana Spencer.

This book was full of interesting facts about the Queen's life, many of them I had never heard. So, if you follow the Royal Family, this book will hit the spot.
You can pick up this read today on Amazon for just $10.87....


I am so pleased to tell you that the publisher is giving one lucky RBM reader a copy of The Queen: A Life in Brief! Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter.... a Rafflecopter giveaway

19 comments:

Jessica Snook said...

I like the new princess too :)

Mika Garnett said...

Love Harry, William and Kate

slb3334 said...

Prince Harry.

slb3334@gmail.com

Nancy said...

Princess Kate is a winner! She's lovely, smart, and sensible.

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Naomi said...

Princess Kate.

Andrew M said...

Prince Philip

kaseycone said...

Kate

Monja Blue said...

I loved the Queen's Mother.

Monja Blue said...

Said hi on your FB page, too!

heather abbe said...

I loved Princess Diana.

My Name: heather abbe
My Email: abbegirl1977@gmail.com

heather abbe said...

I left a comment on your FB: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=444647915558429&id=112329868790237

My Facebook Name: http://www.facebook.com/awesomebloggiveaways

My Name: heather abbe
My Email: abbegirl1977@gmail.com

heather abbe said...

I added someone's button to my blog: http://awesomebloggiveaways.blogspot.com/2012/07/queen-life-in-brief-book-exp-78.html

My Name: heather abbe
My Email: abbegirl1977@gmail.com

Renee G said...

Prince Harry
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(DOT)com

helpful heather said...

princess diana for sure!

heather.loftus@aol.com

helpful heather said...

your button is here

http://helpfulheathershideaway.blogspot.com/

heather.loftus@aol.com

Terri Menke said...

I like Prince William - he was so cute growing up

jadavis said...

Kate
Jadavis42@students.tntech.edu

Samantha said...

I really like Kate.

jadavis said...

I wrote on your fb page!
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=445060108850543&id=112329868790237

Jadavis42@students.tntech.edu