Thursday, September 27, 2012

Laura Lamont's Life In Pictures By Emma Straub




Book Description:

The enchanting story of a midwestern girl who escapes a family tragedy and is remade as a movie star during Hollywood’s golden age.

In 1920, Elsa Emerson, the youngest and blondest of three sisters, is born in idyllic Door County, Wisconsin. Her family owns the Cherry County Playhouse, and more than anything, Elsa relishes appearing onstage, where she soaks up the approval of her father and the embrace of the audience. But when tragedy strikes her family, her acting becomes more than a child¹s game of pretend.

While still in her teens, Elsa marries and flees to Los Angeles. There she is discovered by Irving Green, one of the most powerful executives in Hollywood, who refashions her as a serious, exotic brunette and renames her Laura Lamont. Irving becomes Laura’s great love; she becomes an Academy Award­-winning actress—and a genuine movie star. Laura experiences all the glamour and extravagance of the heady pinnacle of stardom in the studio-system era, but ultimately her story is a timeless one of a woman trying to balance career, family, and personal happiness, all while remaining true to herself.

Ambitious and richly imagined,
Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures is as intimate—and as bigger-than-life—as the great films of the golden age of Hollywood. 


Who doesn't love a good story of struggle turned to success?  I was happy to review this book and get a glimpse into Hollywood and the dreams of Elsa as she becomes a star.  For me this book was an easy read and one that I could put down for a few days and come back to.  Sometimes I like books that I feel I need to plow right through and read all at once and sometimes it's nice to have a book I can put down for a few days and pick it up again and feel no rush.

Enter below for your chance to win a free copy!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

15 comments:

Nancy said...

My dream would be to visit Hollywood!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

sandyandcosmo said...

I don't really have a Hollywood dream but my dog should be in pictures!

KHBride said...

I'd love to host SNL

khbride at yahoo dot com

Carl said...

At one point in my career I did dream about working in Hollywood. But only as a stop on my way to New York. Then life happened. It was pretty good anyway and actually suited me better.

carlscott(at)prodigy(dot)net(dot)mx

samantha w said...

I honestly don't have a hollywood dream.

ashlee sherae said...

I've always wanted to do cartoon voices!

gail said...

i just want to visit
gkuroda(at)gmail(d0t)com

Danielle said...

I always wanted to be friends with stars!

telecommutingtechiemom said...

I think it would be fun just to be an extra someday!

Isn't This Wild?! said...

Audrey Hepburn IS my Hollywood dream. To be that classy ... that beautiful inside and out ... to be able to leave such a legacy of love and beauty behind ... other than that no

Isn't This Wild?! said...

Your button on my blog here : ) http://isntthatwild.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

I just want to take a trip there and see what it is like.

Tanya said...

I really don't have a Hollywood dream...I would love just to go on vacation there....
tanyas.junk1 at gmail.com

Tanya said...

I really don't have a Hollywood dream...I would love just to go on vacation there....
tanyas.junk1 at gmail.com

Connie Gruning said...

My Hollywood dream would be seeing my Granddaughter on screen!!
Connie
CGruning at aol(dot)com