Thursday, January 17, 2013

What Was Your Dream, Dr. King? by Mary Kay Carson

Martin Luther King Day is coming up on Monday.  If you have school aged children you no doubt flooded with questions about this great man, what he did, and why they have the day off from school.  This year is the first year A&W are in school and they are very interested in what has earned them a day off from their normal routine.  I have tried to explain on my own the importance of Dr. King and I am sure I did not do him justice (although I AM delighted that the boys could not even comprehend that people would be treated differently based on color.  They could not even wrap their brains around it....love that!!).  I was so happy when Sterling Children's Books sent me the book, What Was  Your Dream, Dr. King?  And Other Questions About...Martin Luther King Jr. by Mary Kay Carson.  Here are the details.....


Why were schools, drinking fountains, and movie theatres segregated by race? Why did more than 250,000 people march in Washington, DC in 1963? What was Martin Luther King, Jr.'s big dream--and has it come true? All of these and other “must-know” questions about the civil rights hero are answered in this engaging new book.


Mary Kay Carson is an award-winning children's nonfiction author. She has written more than 40 books for kids about wildlife, space, weather, nature, and history, including Alexander Graham Bell: Giving Voice to the World, The Underground Railroad for Kids, and The Wright Brothers for Kids. Mary Kay also gives presentations at schools about writing and her books. She lives in Cincinnati, OH. For more information go to: marykaycarson.com.  

Mary Kay Carson does what I was trying to do with far more success....explaining to children who this great man was, his significance and his role and history using a way that helped children to understand.  The question and answer format is wonderful for school aged children.  Not only does the reader get to know Dr. King as a significant person in history but as a man as well (Did he have children?  What kind of doctor was he?).  I am not ashamed to say I, as an adult, learned quite a lot from this book.  The book touches on subjects such as segregation, the right to vote and other significant historical events.  The subject is heavy and full of facts but Mary Kay Carson artfully manages to present the topics in a manner that is suitable for children.  In our home it has sparked lots of conversations about equality, awareness and loving your neighbor. I highly encourage you to share this book with your children.  It can be purchased at Barnes & Noble (click HERE) or on Amazon.....






I would also recommend picking up a copy for your school library so all children can have access to this informational and powerful book.

I am so pleased to tell you that one lucky RBM reader will win a copy of What Was Your Dream Dr. King?  Thanks so much to the sponsor and here is how to enter....
a Rafflecopter giveaway

36 comments:

phxbne said...

my daughter

coni guerin said...

I would read it to my son - he's 2!
coupons dot guerin at gmail dot com

wyguymom said...

I would read this to my son and to my class.

Yolanda said...

I would read this to my two daughters 5 and 10.

skyrobinson@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

My son. Cantonbrandy@yahoo.com

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

I would like to read this to my son.

Chris Uniejewski said...

My son. They have been having lessons on MLK all week at school.

Alycia said...

Would love to read this to my son.

acartwrightmorell at gmail dot com

Renee said...

My two daughters.

Miranda Gonzalez said...

I would like to read this to my children.

jackeline said...

I will read it to my daughter Genesis.

Mary Kay Carson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Kay Carson said...

Thanks for your generous and thoughtful review, Kristin. If anyone wants to hear, listen, or read MLK’s “I Have A Dream” speech, I posted links to it on a blog I contribute to. And just in case any of your readers are teachers or tutors looking for related activities, there is a page of writing prompts there, too.
http://hands-on-books.blogspot.com/2013/01/by-mary-kay-carson-martin-luther-king-jr.html
Thanks again!

Char W said...

Hope to read it to my kiddos :)

Maria K said...

Hope to read it with my son John.

katja9_10 said...

I would like to read this with my daughter.

Les Johnson

Renee G said...

I would like to read this to my son.
rsgrandinetti@yahoo(DOT)com

theladya said...

My 8 year old niece Cami. ~ Angie B

Katie Fenters said...

I would like to read this book to my daughter

Robyn L said...

I would like to have my granddaughter read this book. She is five and the joy in my life.

Nesca said...

I hope to read this book to my two kids 7, 8

corey1971 said...

My son. (Corey Olomon)

Heather Willis said...

my nephews and niece

Heather said...

I will read this to my son and daughter.
hschonrock at yahoo.com

Lisa @ Simply Things Family said...

I would read to my youngest daughter.

Diana said...

I would love to read with my granddaughters
hrddiana556@gmail.com

Emi Pearce said...

I would like to win this for my daughters.

Tammy H said...

I would donate this to the school library so that the librarian and teachers can share with their classes

tina reynolds said...

my three children

ossmcalc said...

I want to read this book to my grandson, niece, and nephew.

Laurie said...

my daughter

Missy L said...

I'd read this to my kids

Jessica Bracho said...

I look forward to reading this book because I like to teach children about inspirational figures
love_jellybean_love at hotmail dot com

kpintn said...

wonderful book with a great message, grandchildren would love to shar this

Anonymous said...

My Son :-)

Jenamr(at)aol(dot)com

mikaljains said...

Congratulations! This is the best thing, Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.
Printable Forms