Monday, October 14, 2013

Breakfast Treat Time! Mom's Monkey Bread Recipe!

Most of the time we try and eat healthily here at Reviewed by Mom.  Most of the time.  But, hey, we are human and everyone likes to splurge now and again!  One way I treat my family is with a special breakfast of monkey bread.  My sister in law introduced me to her version and we tweaked it a bit for our tastes.  This gooey, tasty creation is easy to do and is the perfect way to kick off a special morning or a lazy Sunday.  The ingredients are things I always have on hand so I can throw it together and surprise the kids.  It earns me mega mom points every time I make it.

So here it is, my super easy, super compliment inducing...

 Mom's Monkey Bread Recipe

  • 3 cans Buttermilk Biscuits(the ones in the tube...you know the ones!)
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons  Cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 half stick butter
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar 
Preheat oven to 350.  Grab a bundt pan and spray it down with cooking spray on bottom and sides. Remove biscuits from cans (do you always panic like I do when doing this??  I swear I tense up like I am waiting to be socked in the face by the Pillsbury Dough Boy himself!).  Cut each biscuit in quarters ( I do this a stack at a time....they do not have to be perfect!).  Combine white sugar and cinnamon in large plastic bag and then add the prepared biscuits in small batches (if you add too many at a time they don't get covered enough.  I usually do 3 or 4 batches) and put those arms to work and shake so the biscuits are coated with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.  Feel free to call this a workout (I do!).  Once the biscuits are coated place them in the prepared bundt  pan so they overlap and lay on top of one another.

Next melt the butter.  I do this in a bowl in the microwave and it takes about a minute.  Once the butter is melted add the maple syrup and the brown sugar and give it a good whisk with a fork to combine.  Now pour it all over the biscuits in the bundt pan.  Put it in the over for 35-45 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown.  Remove from the oven and then let it set for 10 minutes (this is torture time because at this point the house smells AMAZING) and it is really hard to wait but do wait...it allows time for all the coating to really sink in!).   Next flip the bundt pan over and voila...Mom's Monkey Bread!
 

This sticky, sweet, decadent ring is ready to eat and earn you those mega mom points!  Oh, and remember, you just shook that bag to coat several times so you have earned yourself a piece (or 3)!

Enjoy and let me know if you whip this up in your kitchen!

1 comment:

Dianna said...

oh yummmmmm!!!-- This is easier than the recipe I use-- and I have never tried it with maple syrup before -- sounds just perfect-- have you tried this with the butterscoth pudding to make it a more caramel flavor-- that ones really good and lots of pecan--its to die for then I melt cream cheese and pour it over that --all the same thanks-- I have to try this now-- :-)