Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Shrek the Musical...Review!

 In our family, we love the Shrek movies.  Shrek is a "go to" family movie night favorite.  It is one of those special flicks that appeals to a wide variety of ages (don't you just love it when that  happens?!).  When I had the opportunity to review Shrek The Musical I jumped at the chance since we are already big Shrek fans and I have not (yet!) made it to see the play on stage.  Here is the scoop on this just released DVD....


Synopsis:
The greatest fairy tale never told comes to life as never before in DreamWorks’ Shrek The Musical, the highly acclaimed Broadway production based on the smash-hit movie. Shrek The Musical received eight 2009 Tony Award® nominations including Best Musical, winning Best Costume Design of a Musical (Tim Hatley) and received a Grammy Award® nomination for Best Musical Show Album. Fans can join in on the performance with sing along Shrek-tastic songs on the Deluxe Edition Blu-ray™ + DVD + Digital HD™ or single-disc DVD!

This was a smash hit in the Reviewed by Mom household! The story line is very similar to what we loved about the film only it was told with a bunch of new and fantastic songs!!  My daughter in particular, LOVED all the singing.

All the familiar and beloved characters from the movie came to life on the big screen. Donkey, Shrek, Fionna , Lord Farquaad and more all all there to entertain.  There is plenty of slapstick and silly humor.  My children never tire of the "potty" humor bits and I appreciate the humor that is aimed for adults that the kids don't "get" yet.  Like I said...fun for the whole family.

The set and costumes were flat out amazing.  They were colorful and elaborate and exactly what you would expect from a big budget Broadway show.   To be honest, this DVD was so well done that I actually felt like I was there, on Broadway, watching instead of in my living room (wearing PJ's!).

Shrek the Musical is truly a delight for the whole family.  It is one of those true gems that are fun for the entire family.  Scoop this DVD up now and enjoy your own at home Broadway experience!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I just saw the trailer for Shrek the Musical and it looks hilarious!! I'm a Shrek fan and I can't wait to see it. My kids never get sick of the 'potty' jokes either.. kids! lol

babydjs_mom@yahoo.com

Christina Howell said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but now I want too. I just wasn't sure if it would be worth my time.