Monday, October 7, 2013

Sick Day = Mom's Chicken Soup!

This morning I promised you all that I would share my monkey bread recipe (I will get to that...promise!) but today I am faced with a nasty head cold and three little kiddos home sick.  It felt more appropriate to share with you all what I was cooking today...Mom's Chicken Soup.

I took a favorite online recipe from Two  Peas in Their Pod (find it HERE) and tweaked it to make it my own.  I  love this soup and I make it every time someone in our home has even the slightest hint of a sniffle.  Actually, I make it even more than that because you don't need to be sick to be comforted by a good chicken soup.  So, here it is, my recipe for Mom's Chicken Soup.  Fingers crossed that it does the trick today and my household gets back on the healthy track!

Mom's Chicken Soup


  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 Large Chopped Onion
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 4 carrots sliced thinly (I have been known to use baby carrots as a short cut!! )
  • 2 celery ribs sliced thinly
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp sage
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 8 Cups chicken stock or broth
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 1/4  cup long grain white rice
  • 2 Cups Chicken (My favorite flavor comes from leftover baked chicken but cubed boneless breasts work too)

  • In a large stock pot saute vegetables and garlic until they are slightly softened.  Add broth, water, sage, thyme, pepper and bay leaves and bring to a boil.  Add rice and chicken. Turn down heat to low and cook until rice is soft...about 30 minutes. 
    *I will often double this recipe up  and freeze some.  It freezes well and is wonderful to have on hand when you are sick and don't feel like cooking!


    2 comments:

    Kristie said...

    I love chicken soup. It's my favorite. Thanks for the recipe. kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

    Anonymous said...

    So excited to try this! Thank you