Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Cold Weather? Make Mom's Chicken Soup!

Today, where I live in Maine, it is going to be less than zero degrees.  Ouch!!  When it is that cold I swear it just freezes you from the inside out.  One of my favorite ways to warm up is with a big bowl of soup.  Today I will be making one of my favorites...Mom's Chicken Soup. This easy recipe is always a welcome treat on a cold day.  I have shared it here before but it has been awhile so, here it is for those of you who missed it the first time around.  Stay warm!!

Mom's Chicken Soup



  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 Large Chopped Onion
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 4 carrots sliced thinly (I have been known to use baby carrots as a short cut!! )
  • 2 celery ribs sliced thinly
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp sage
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 8 Cups chicken stock or broth
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 1/4  cup long grain white rice
  • 2 Cups Chicken (My favorite flavor comes from leftover baked chicken but cubed boneless breasts work too)

  • In a large stock pot saute vegetables and garlic until they are slightly softened.  Add broth, water, sage, thyme, pepper and bay leaves and bring to a boil.  Add rice and chicken. Turn down heat to low and cook until rice is soft...about 30 minutes. 
    *I will often double this recipe up  and freeze some.  It freezes well and is wonderful to have on hand when you are sick and don't feel like cooking!


    3 comments:

    Helen Bush said...

    I love chicken soup. I had to buy me some (from the can) just yesterday, but I am pinning this to try some homemade :) Hope it turns out as good as my grandma's

    Dianna said...

    sounds so good---it is so cold here-- that a good soup would just about make it better---so I had to pin this recipe in my pinterest so I can get it done tomorrow.. Thanks for the recipe its making me hungry

    barkergirl33 said...

    I never got my gramma's chicken soup recipe before she passed- this sounds delicious and cozy. It is going to drop below zero this week- I am going to give it a try - thanks for the post.