Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year Happier You! Day 5....Time Something to Gain Perspective!

There are a few chores around the house that I just loathe.  They automatically make me cranky and annoyed.  One such chore is unloading the dishwasher.  The monotony of doing this 2 or 3 times a day just about drives me out of my mind.  It is the little things, right??


The other day a little something happened that caused me to gain some perspective on this dreaded chore of mine.  I put water for tea in the microwave for 90 seconds and right as I did it I forced myself to unload the dishwasher (groan).  Right as I completed unloading the timer on the microwaved beeped.  It occurred to me that this chore that I get crotchety about took a measly 90 seconds.  It certainly put my bad attitude in perspective!

Today think of something you just dread doing around the house (or office....this exercise works for anything really) and time yourself from beginning to end. It might surprise you to see just how little time it takes to do.  Maybe you will be like me and realize I was spending more time being grouchy about it than the task actually takes.  I still don't love emptying out the dishwasher but the perspective I gained about it makes me handle it better.  What are you going to time today?

2 comments:

Sarah Frederick said...

I know what you mean! I feel like that about the dishwasher too, but now my daughter is old enough to help (and still wants to) :)

Gianna said...

I can't stand doing much of anything lately because I have so much to do all the time. I found that timing things helps a lot with multi tasking. From dinner to chores so I can get a lot more done and be more efficient. Unloading the dishwasher is irritating when done so often (and no one else does it), but washing everything by hand takes so much more time. That's what I tell myself :)