Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Happy New Year: Happier You! Day 7...Get Outside (everyday!)!

I live in Maine.  I hate the cold.  Ironic, isn't it?  The fact is, I was born here and I absolutely love it here (except for the cold!).  Sometimes in the winter I want to hibernate.  I want to get in cozy clothes, crank up the heat, eat comfort food and shut the shades so I can forget there is a near tundra out there.  The problem with this?  It makes me cranky!

Even though I am not a fan of the cold, when I don't get outside for a bit of recreation each day I become a bit of a sour puss.  Having children makes it easier for me to get outside each day...they don't care how cold, icy or snowy it is!  So, each day, for at least a little bit, I go out and play.  We take a walk.  We sled.  We kick a soccer ball around the yard despite the snow.  Sometimes while I am out there I daydream about the beach in August but I always go out there to get some fresh air and I am happier for it.  Really.

We are currently in a deep freeze here in Maine which makes it even more challenging to get outside.  We decided to embrace the cold over the weekend and go ice fishing!  We had a little heater that we set up in a tent and we had a wonderful day.  I am glad  I didn't hibernate that is for sure!  Here are my little ice fisherman enjoying the outdoors even in the single digits!!



No comments: