Tuesday, January 6, 2015

To Gym or Not to Gym? That is the Question!

Readers, I am feeling like a cliché!  It is the New Year and I am thinking of marking it with a shiny new gym membership.  Over the spring and summer I really enjoyed getting out there and being active.  I started running and completed my first 10k.  It was fantastic.  Fast forward to today and a long, cold Maine winter ahead of me.  Sigh.

I just can't seem to stay active in the winter months.  Sweaters are too cozy and forgiving.  Darkness comes too early.  It is too darn cold!!!  I have lots of excuses as you can see.  So, that brings  me to the gym.  I don't love the idea of the expense of it or the fact that I can't just open the door and being able to exercise.  However, I don't see another great alternative.  I have set a goal for myself to beat my 10k this summer and that just won't happen with me hibernating all winter.

So, before I run to the gym for that membership, what do you all do for exercise in the colder months?  Do you gym or do you have another alternative? Fill me in please.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem, and do not like the prospect of going to a gym to get my exercise. No offense to those that do. I picked up X - country skiing a few years ago and have found it to be a great way to get my body moving in the winter months. Further, unlike many other forms of exercise, I find it fun. Which I believe is the key to sticking with any form of exercise. Not to mention that its some SERIOUS exercise. Skiing 3 times a week for 30min-1hr will help to keep you in shape for those 10K's.

So, If you live close to a place where you can do it, I highly reccomend giving it a shot. If you like it, you should be able to find some used equipment at a reasonable price. I equipped myself, and two kids (6 and 8) for less than $200. Finally, you dont really need a formal X-country skii trail to go. In fact, I just skii right out my door and down the street when we have had a snow event.

Soo said...

We have a gym at the neighborhood clubhouse that I use twice a week. I find it motivating to be in a place where the whole point is to be exercising... I tried to work out at home and kept getting distracted. But... my gym is free. I don't know if I'd pay to go to a gym.

Twingle Mommy said...

I have a gym membership that I use year round. I found a gym that has everything that I needed; childcare, classes, and a locker room when I can take a private shower. I use my gym time as a break from the kids when I need one and also as me time. I take a fun class and then shower in peace. I know I'll never go to the gym to run on a treadmill but taking Zumba is fun so I don't want to miss it.

Susan Said What?! said...

We built a home gym. Best thing we ever did. Now I have no excuse, including snow!