Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Running Revisited

Last year I ran my first half marathon.  It is something I am really proud of and I never thought, 9 months later, that I would basically be back to a "non runner" again but here I am in my too  clean sneakers trying to find the motivation to get off the couch.  Again. 

After my race last May, I ran all through the summer.  My husband and I signed up for a weekly 5k which was incredibly motivating.  We live right near Portland's "Back Bay" and the loop around is a 5k with great scenery.  This race series was a super way for us to better our times and we both got our best times ever when we ran the very popular "Beach to Beacon" race in Cape Elizabeth last August. It is safe to say I was at my personal running and fitness best last summer. 

In late September I went for an typical 3 mile run while the kids were in school.  There was nothing out  the ordinary about my run...not too fast or too long. Just average.  That night my right knee got swollen, hot and incredibly sore.  A trip to the Orthopedic the next day and I was couch bound with a bad case of bursitis.  Ouch.  I had to stay off it for 6 weeks and now, 5 months later, I am still staying off it despite making a full recovery.  Can you say milking it?!

I am really discouraged about all of the ground I have lost and I really want to get back to where I was last summer and I am digging deep to find the motivation.  I am not sure how many of you readers are runners too but I think everyone can relate to a lack of motivation for SOMETHING.  So, I am planning on chronicling my journey from the couch to the pavement again and I invite you all to come along with me.  Whatever you have been putting off (running, walking, lifting weights, eating right, reading more...whatever it is!) let's get back at it.  Today.  Yup, today.  No excuses.  I know it is going to be hard but I also know each day more that I put it off will make my journey even more challenging. 

Who is with me?  I hope you will come along and share your experiences with me too and I will be sure to update you all on how I am doing.  You are all now my accountability squad and I will not let you down.  Now, off to lace up those sneakers and hit the pavement!

No comments: