1. Bring Snacks. Nothing like a little hunger to drive even the happiest crew over the edge. Pack some snacks to take the edge off. Bottle waters, granola bars, apples and pretzels are my go to car snack choices.
2. Sing some carols. Blast the holiday station and belt it out with your kiddos. There is nothing like a little "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" to turn those frowns upside down!
3. Play Games. Come armed with your very best cruise director attitude. Have some fun games at the ready. I Spy, the license plate game, and the alphabet game are all good choices that require no packing.
4. Bring a Snuggly Friend. Some children are comforted by the prescense of a favorite stuffed bear (or dinosaur, doll...whatever!). Having their favorite stuffed pal along can take the edge off AND make for a soft sleeping pillow.
5. Books, books and More Books. Bring along a basket of books for the children to sift through. Even non readers will enjoy looking at picture books on the ride. Get in the spirit and toss in a few holiday books to choose from.
6. Books on CD (or tape). The whole family can enjoying listening to a great classic on CD. It will going over the river and through the woods to grandmother's go much more quickly.
7. Stop for stretch breaks. We all get stiff muscles from sitting too long. Every hour or so pull over and get the wiggles out.
8. Stop for Potty Breaks. Maybe even more important than #7. When you near a clean bathroom opportunity, just stop. It is far better than waiting too long OR braving an outhouse. Trust me...I have been there!
9. Pack an extra set of clothes. You never know. You might forget the importance of tip #8 or your snack choice may be messier than you had hoped. It is best to be prepared with a pair of fresh clothes for the troops.
10. Keep a sense of humor. Kids will be kids. They might have a tantrum (you might too!). They may ask are we there yet 472 times. They will most certainly spill water and pretzel crumbs on the floor. But....these are fun times. Remember life being a journey not a destination? Repeat that mantra when the going gets tough. Happy Travels!
Content and/or other value provided by our partner, Kia Motors